Childhood Adversity Linked to Cognitive Impairment in Schizophrenia

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/topics/schizophrenia-and-psychoses/childhood-adversity-linked-to-cognitive-impairment-in-schizophrenia/

People with schizophrenia and cognitive impairment reported significant childhood adversity, especially the lack of parental involvement and family hardships.

1 Like

Child abuse survivor here.
My childhood abuse gave me some of the most horrifying experiences. It’s so hard.

1 Like

I wonder how much this is to do with such children being from parents who themselves have low intellect and poor parenting skills. I’m just throwing a thought out there , and accept I could be totally wrong . If so that would,I think, point to a genetic component to it.

1 Like

You might be right. Although very little abuse came from my parents, I’m starting to think of this complaint filed at the school that I graduated from. The mother of a student called my mother, and complained about the teacher I was abused from. She said to my mom, “Do you want to say anything? It could be really great if you could help us out.” They happened to be reporting her to the school board.
They weren’t just doing it to me. They were doing it to everyone.

1 Like

not abuse really, for me it was neglect…

1 Like