Schizophrenia.com

Chained to a pack of Cigarettes

That is how I feel. I am chained to a giant pack of cigarettes that I must drag everywhere I go.

Yes I’ve made attempts to quit. The patch. The gum. The patch and the gum (I know)

My only successful attempts to quit have been while I was in the hospital on the patch and couldn’t smoke there anyway. Should I have myself locked up somewhere and let out only once I’ve finally got used to being a non-smoker?

I recently learned that my uncle has lung cancer that has spread throughout his body. Today I learned that he’s been told he may have only a few more months to live. I don’t want this to be me. I don’t want to be smoking my way through a carton of cigarettes in three days like I have been lately.

I feel like my chances of quitting and remaining quit are slim. I’ve been a smoker since I was 14 years old, and when I say that I don’t mean I smoked the occasional cigarette at 14 but was a regular smoker. I also have schizophrenia which I know lessons my chances of being able to quit even more so than having started young. When I look at the people I know who also have a mental illness the majority of them are smokers. I have friends in their early 50’s still struggling to quit, they want to quit but they can’t seem to.

This is the next obstacle I need to overcome…I am going to need to quit smoking…somehow.

1 Like

It’s definitely tough. I’ve been smoking dohka for the last couple weeks instead of cigarettes. I need to stop that but I get it for free. I also need to drop the nicotine habit but sometimes it is all that is keeping me going.

Baby steps. One problem at time. Quitting is a huge task and if your tackling other projects, other problems it can wait awhile. I’m unsure if I’m allowed to recommend a book on the forum or not but read Easy way to quit smoking by Alan Carr if you hadn’t Also mention to your doctor to see if he/she can prescribe something that wont conflict with your current meds to help give up the smokes. New meds come out all the time so must be a breakthrough somewhere for us. Get as much support and info as you can before you decide to quit this time. One thing that you have is experience of quitting. You know your weak times so you will know when to get help and support the next time you do give them up. As I said take it slow and don’t be so hard on yourself. Sorry about your Uncle, I’ll send positive thoughts to both of you.

I was lucky, I was able to quit my first try, cold turkey, after 10 years of a pack a day. I think that’s the trick, at least for me, to just get it over with all at once, like ripping off a bandaid. I’ve been clean for 2 1/2 years, and I still get cravings sometimes. I don’t think it ever goes away completely, but it gets to a manageable point where you don’t think about it much any more. Best of luck to you, I hope you can rid yourself of those chains!

I have tried and tried. Patch, gum, chantix, all worked about one time and then I went back. Chantix really got me completely stopped for about 5 months, but I was still delusional and went back. Tried Chantix again and it didn’t work. I’m going to look for that book Dreamscape.

Yeah haven’t tried Chantix but it hasn’t exactly been highly recommended to me either. I mean I know a few people who used it with success but I’m sort of worried about how it might effect me. I may be symptom free and relatively stable but I also know that I am still susceptible to a return of symptoms and what not.

It’s kind of funny feeling so cautious about things like that these days. There was a time when I used to take anything without really much thought to it at all.

I used to smoke as much as you, mussel. I now smoke 2 cigarettes a day and I surely do cherish them. I’m not promising myself any quitting time yet - maybe by winter.

1 Like

wow, chordy !! If only I could cut down that much !! you’re almost completely quit !! I have trouble even going 30 minutes but you have inspired me !!

One of the most degrading things is scavenging your ashtray for butts to smoke when you run out. I feel like an animal rooting around in the dirt for a grub.

1 Like

You have my sympathy. Any form of addiction is bad, but smoking is one of the worst. I smoked for a little while, and it took me dozens of tries to quit. Don’t get discouraged. Keep trying. If you fail once, you can try again.

Quitting is hard. I quit drugs and I’m still smoking cigarettes. My mom died of lung cancer and I’m still smoking. Just keep trying.

Today marks 3 weeks smoke-free for me! Yay!

2 Likes

Well I ran out yesterday and decided not to go get more. I have the gum so I have something. Last night was just fine without cigarettes. It’s this morning that’s proving to be rough but that is usually the case for me.

Part of my choosing to try to quit is simply that the store where I normally buy my cigarettes is currently in dispute with it’s own corporate leadership and I don’t dare cross the protest lines to find out if they even have any of my brand left. So I need to either go to one of the local convenience stores and pay two dollars more per pack or make the drive to the next town south of here to get a carton of my current brand.

And then there’s the fact that I’m thoroughly sick of smoking so darn much…

1 Like

It’s all about negotiating what will work for you. For me it was easier to quit than cut back. Even if you can alternate between the cigarettes and the gum all day you will only be smoking half as much. I am taking the nicorette quick mist right now, and if I can’t stop taking it at least I save my lungs. They told me the form of nicotine in it will not cause cancer. I haven’t had a cigarette since Saturday morning. I have tried to quit I think every month this year, and every time I learn something. This time I realized the problem is I see cigarettes as spoiling myself. So I bought myself some beef jerky instead. I realized if I want to, I can go out for coffee every day of the week if I want and it will cost me the same. I could buy a new comic book t-shirt every week. I could go out for dinner more often. I think I have the hang of it this time. Keep trying to quit. It will be worth it. Switching to the spray saves me $100 a month and I spend about $50 on the spray. I used to smoke $150 in cigs a month.

I’ve found vaping to be an awesome alternative to smoking. Benefits of nicotine w / o the short term negative effects.