CEO shares insight into life with schizophrenia

If Bill MacPhee can get people to understand a diagnosis of schizophrenia is not a death sentence or even a life sentence, his work will be done.

“There is life after such a diagnosis and everyone should know that,” MacPhee said during an interview Thursday.

The CEO of Magpie Publishing Inc. in Fort Erie, Ont., which produces digital magazines dealing with mental health issues, MacPhee was diagnosed with schizophrenia when he was a young man.

Close to 30 years later, MacPhee said he is living proof that life can be lived, careers can be had, families can be enjoyed and life does not stop because of the illness that robs people of their sense of reality.

Source:

3 Likes

Thank you for this, it is difficult to keep in mind sometimes that we can do anything we desire and not to let our illness become a barrier.

3 Likes

This is a message that I wish more people were hearing.

Pixel.

3 Likes

The main problem I have with this is this is a guy who says early diagnosis is key, but what if his wife had it, would she complete her degree, and have his children?

Women are so much worse off with this plight. Think about it, we have so much riding on us, from peers, society and family to get married, to have the perfect life, 2.5 kids and all nurturing and sustainable.

I’d like to ask him what his thoughts are on whether his wife or his daughters had this illness. It’s not an even balance for sure.

I kind of agree with you. Women unlike men can be, “tainted” or “damaged goods.” I believe that this illness makes us stronger. It is best that we only set goals and meet them. Marriage is something that we just have to work hard at, but we must work harder to live as though we won’t get married. It helps to not dwell on something we can’t control completely.

I’m on a dating site and it’s hard. There’s no way of knowing who you are talking to.