CBT: Curtailing worry reduces schizophrenia Delusions of Persecution

Delusions of persecution in psychiatric patients can be reduced with just six sessions of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), a new clinical trial has found. Using CBT in this way could potentially help to prevent mental illnesses occurring in at-risk people.
The study, published in the journal Lancet Psychiatry, was carried out by researchers at the Universities of Southampton, Oxford and Manchester and was funded by the UK’s Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation (EME) Programme.
Persecutory delusions are unrealistic beliefs that others are intentionally trying to harm the person. This severe paranoia is a key problem in many mental health conditions, including schizophrenia.

Read the full story:

2 Likes

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(15)00039-5/fulltext

I do need to stay on the meds…

But I do feel that the CBT has helped with the anger management, the anxiety that can blow into a panic attack… and bring on the head circus.

I also feel it’s helped with the catastrophic thinking and breaking me out of behavior that just goes no where.

So… no, CBT has not cured my SZ… but I feel it’s helped me manage the side shows that come with the circus.

1 Like