Car showed me this warning. What does it mean? Photo

Right after it tells me to change my oil. I assume this is meant to be an oil filter?

Idk anything about cars but I know enough to get it serviced when I’m supposed to. I scheduled an oil change for tomorrow but I’ve never seen this warning. Is it okay to drive it until my oil appointment tomorrow?

1 Like

It’s probably telling you that it is time to change your oil filter

4 Likes

I’d think you would be ok to drive it until tomorrow and just have them change the oil filter and reset the light then.

3 Likes

It’s probably fine until tomorrow, but make sure the oil change also comes with an oil filter change. Some places include it in the cost, some don’t.

3 Likes

To get rid of the light turn your key to the on position it should blink three times then turn it off wait 10 seconds turn it back on so I should go out this is a typical oil change light which they reset every time your oil has been changed you obviously have gone more than three thousand miles on your oil change and need to replace it

1 Like

@DrZen I will try the light trick if they don’t turn it off. I haven’t gone over mileage though. I’ve gone close to 3k but not quite over. That’s the strange thing. I get the synth blend oil too. But I’m not really sure that matters since I checked my oil and it’s definitely low.

I will definitely ask. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ve got an appointment before the mechanic opens. I’ll run to that then straight to the oil change appointment. Thank you!

2 Likes

It should be OK. It wouldn’t make much sense for them to design a warning system that only allows you 12 hours or one day to get your oil changed and a new filter or something will go wrong… You should be OK for a day or two; just get it changed as quick as you can.

IDK about your car but the prevailing wisdom used to be to get your oil changed every three thousand miles. Now they say you on lots of cars that you can go much longer between oil changes. So I don’t know if your oil light is set to the old standard or the new.

If you don’t trust us on this call the dealer and ask him about the light. My service light was on a month before I finally got my oil changed and my car is fine.
And when you take your car in, ask them about the light and how much time you have after it goes on to change your filter. They might tell you 3 days or a week.

1 Like

This is also great advice. I usually schedule a change just before the 3k mark which always comes before the light comes on. I was surprised to see the light on. This’ll be good info in case it comes on again.

1 Like

Ive never driven a car that tells you when to get an oil change. Even if i did i would still ignore it for six months.

1 Like

This gave me a good laugh. I panic at the sign of anything even potentially wrong with my car.

That’s a lot less scary than check engine.

Most of the time when I get a light on it’s a sensor problem though. Make sure you got a mechanic you trust who won’t try and fleece you.

1 Like

Did you check the oil level? Could have set off a sensor if it’s low.

1 Like

I ignore it until i cant drive. Ive been jumpstarting my car every day for the past month.

1 Like

You can’t afford a new battery?

I would put ducttape over it. Than you could drive for much longer.:thinking:

1 Like

it probably means your rocket boosters need changing

1 Like

Jokes on them. I got no money to be fleeced. I’m going to one of those big name shops since they had the earliest vacancy. Anything the tell me that’s wrong additionally, I will write down and take to my family’s mechanic.

1 Like

I did. It’s definitely low.