Can't wait to go back into hospital!

Hey guys!

Back on here again as im lonely as always at 2am…

I’m going back into hospital over the next month at some point to have a change of tablets…Im changing from Amisulpride (Solian) to Lurasidone (Latuda) and even though im crapping it incase i get a return of NMS (Neuropleptic Malgniant Syndrome) I’m looking forward to actually being around people other than my mum and dad for a change…I get so lonely at times and the last time i was in hospital i got close to a lot of the nurses and patients, it was a really good time for me especially towards the end before i got discharged because i was so elated, energetic, confident and happy as the new drugs were finally working…that was 4 years ago though and things could be different now, well they are, as i am going in as a ‘voluntary’ patient meaning im not sectioned. I’m going in with a clear head and i think a lot of positives could come out of it.

Has anyone else ever voluntary admitted themselves into a psych ward ? If so how was your experience ?

5 Likes

I always went without a fight, IDK if that means voluntary or whatever. But I made some great friends especially at the third visit. Even if you aren’t friends with someone you can just say hey. The best conversation starter is “what are you in here for sir or madam” or “how do you feel about the doctor” or “what kind of symptoms do you have”. People tend to love to talk about themselves, just be a good listener and you will make friends easily. Also, try and be fun and random and crack jokes here and there as well, that will get you in the nurses’ high esteem.

2 Likes

I did it voluntarily, bc I was told I had a choice bw that and being committed …so i guess you can say it wasnt too “voluntary”. I was treated no differently than involuntary patients, and wasnt released until i accepted risperidone depot

1 Like

Haha thanks for your comment @eduvigis. I am generally a friendly person, if I’m not sleeping until 6pm and I feel good that day that is. Before I went into hospital in 2013 I went in as a scared, unstable and vulnerable 19 year old but I came out 5 months later full of confidence and energy. I still have some of those traits to this day and id like to use it to my advantage in hospital. Its weird, I’m introverted but extroverted at the same time, I’m a bit of both. My outer shell is extroversion but deep inside I am introverted.

1 Like

From your profile pic you seem like a good looking guy. That might make people nervous to be friends with you or it might work in your favor meaning everyone will treat you great and want to be your friend. When it comes to being a combination of those two personality types, I would say it’s definitely common to show traits of either extroversion or introversion interchangeably. Some people are just extroverted around certain people. So for many it depends on the mood at a given moment or the environment. These things are more important than any disposition you or others have decided on at one point. 5 months is a long hospital stay, how long are you planning to stay this time?

1 Like

I was only admitted once when I was first diagnosed. I was sixteen and really out of it. I barely remember much. I know in about 2007/2008 I wanted to be admitted again because I was tired having nightly panic attacks and exhausted from working 7 days a week 8 hour shifts. Eventually I quit the job and took time off to readjust my medication levels and everything. I went to a day program the hospital had for adults when I felt a little better. But I was able to go home at night.

I’ve never had good experiences in any hospital…when I was sixteen I remember being verbally sexually abused by a staff member, but he hid his acts and because of my diagnosis no one believed me. He tried stalking me online when I got out but I had a good online friend back then that kind of scared him away and I never heard from him again. Unfortunately I don’t speak with the guy who helped any more either. (it was way back when AOL was first coming out… and I never knew the second guy personally).

Then when I was in the regular hospital last year a nurse said she was going to kill me because I was such a burden on my family. I told my mom and she didn’t believe me again, thought I hallucinated it because they always act so nice and innocent in front of someone who can do something against them. She had three friends with her, and I know this wasn’t a hallucination because I was using a white-board to communicate because I had a lump on my throat prevent me from speaking. So I don’t know now if I had to go back in if I would voluntarily go in. I’m afraid of hospitals…or rather the people working in them.

2 Likes

Good insight @eduvigis, and thanks for your compliment haha, even if it is judging from my tiny profile pic that was taken via selfie on a ‘good’ day, lol, you don’t want to see me in the mornings! But yeah I see where your coming from, I’m not as confident as you think and your right it totally depends on the environment, the people your with, how you think you look at the time…if only if I was one of those guys that had muscles and dark skin, tall and careless about how they look because they look good all the time! lol. I feel I haven’t really shown my personality to full potential as I rarely get out, and if I do get out its either with people that I don’t particularly like or people that I hardly know, meaning that obviously I am going to be different around them as to someone that was my best friend, or going out with multiple people that you knew well and liked. Some days I see my self as a very normal guy who should be out having a good time having a girlfriend and a job etc then I wake up the next morning and its back to square one with the SZ symptoms. Yes I got admitted at the start of February 2013 and never got discharged until July 2nd 2013! My symptoms lasted longer than that though, I had symptoms for around 6 months in total, starting from Christmas 2012. I only plan for a short stay, its just to change my tablets, I actually don’t have any positive symptoms at the moment, and haven had any for 4 years…so you could ask why am I changing tablets ? But the negative symptoms are bad, and my sleeping pattern is terrible. So hopefully 2 or 3 weeks in hospital that gets me into a routine and a stable tablet change will help that!

1 Like

@sohare1981 My experience in hospital hasn’t been entirely positive neither. At the very start of my admission I must have been restrained about 50+ times by a guy that had no fingers and a woman that genuinely looked like a guy. I got restrained by other staff too and it hurt at times. I remember one nurse forced medication down my throat because I wasn’t taking it and the cup edges actually cut my mouth, he was so aggressive, a lot of the nurses at the start (from Feb to May 13’) also intimidated me and sort of bullied me if you liked, because I was so vulnerable, which obviously isn’t an excuse to treat someone like that. But when I came out my shell and cleared my mind of all the psychosis’ I found that they kind of backed off and treated me like a normal human being, that’s when I started to get the good memories from hospital. But before that ; dark dark times. I made a few friends too, I’m pretty sure one of them added me though and then cancelled the request…I asked if I knew him and he got cheeky with me and blocked me but I was 99.9% sure it was the guy I knew in hospital. Another girl I knew I messaged a few times over the years but she has never replied! I guess some people just don’t want to be associated with anyone or anything that was to do with their hospital stay, which is perfectly reasonable I guess.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it was you but someone on her who reminded me of you (probably you) was talking about having issues with the sleeping pattern. In my experience this fluctuates over time, like for me on Rexulti I had to sleep between 10 am and 5 pm, or else I spent that whole time psychotic and functionally impaired. It wasn’t like that at the beginning, but after a number of months it set in and I was like “well, this is new”. Medications less likely to interfere with sleep are Risperidone, Latuda, geodon, and aripiprazole. I still get knocked out on aripiprazole 20mg at 8 am, but I can push past it now whereas with the Rexulti it was sleep or do absolutely nothing.

1 Like

Also consider cutting the doses up. I take 20mg aripiprazole at 8 am and 10mg at 5pm and my sleep schedule is still a bit off but I can push past it. Having a big dose of sedative medication all at once can be tough on the system. Consider breaking it up into a manual extended release. Or try an actual extended release.

1 Like

I understand I’ve been avoiding about anyone I grew up with…I guess I’m embarrassed to be around them reminding me of an uncomfortable time in my life. Though it’s not easy at any age, being 16 and schizophrenic is extremely rough. Being a pasty, highly over-weight white girl in a 85% African American inner city high school with schizophrenia is even harder.

1 Like

I have had 9 or 10 hospitalizations. I would say that none of them were good experiences. I think I checked myself into one or two of them. But the rest, either my parents or my psychiatrist checked me in.

My experiences were that I spent as much time as I could get away with sleeping in my room. I was never even close to being popular with staff and the other patients. I usually kept to myself, a few people liked me though. Almost every hospital I was in had a TV but I had akathesia and I was restless and I couldn’t relax enough to watch TV. Yeah, my hospital stays were all about suffering and going through hell. There were some good points to them but not a lot.

2 Likes

When you’re voluntarily, they treat you better. My last time I went into the hospital it was voluntarily and they treated me better. I think it’d be hard to check yourself in voluntarily if you’re in the midst of serious psychosis. I wasn’t facing psychosis when I went into the hospital in march. That’s why they treated me better. Whenever I went for psychosis it was like living hell, the way the staff treated me, and the way I felt, which was the first 6 times in the hospital.

1 Like

Did voluntary a couple of times. Like you when changing meds. Incidentally I am changing from seroquel to latuda.

1 Like

I’ve been hospitalized too many times to count. Literally. All of them were horrible experiences. Mostly because either I was restrained, couldn’t sleep, or developed terrible migraines during my stay.

1 Like

Yeah I did voluntary partial hospitalization once. (It’s an all day 5 day a week program where you get to go home at the end, but you still see a psychiatrist weekly and whatnot) They wanted me to do inpatient but I refused. I am scared to do inpatient ever because I hear horror stories of people being raped in them, either by another patient or by staff.

1 Like