Canadian Prime Minister in Trouble For Wearing Blackface

Apparently Justin Trudeau dressed up as black men on more than one occasion, back in the day.

I really don’t get all of the fuss in the news over this. It happened decades ago. I don’t think this story will resonate with Joe Sixpack and Sally Housecoat.

1 Like

what is with these white people wanting to paint their face black? I don’t get it. I once painted my face orange and black for a high school sporting event. that’s the only time I ever painted my face haha. im not Canadian and white and not overly offended but it’s not really my place to decide if this offensive. he apologized so that is something.

2 Likes

There’s just no context anymore in Social Media. Times were different back then…more liberal, free flowing and much less political correctness.

I dressed up as a woman once for Halloween. I suppose I’d be offending transgendered people if I did that nowadays.

See how ridiculous all of this can get?

3 Likes

back in middle school or high school can’t remember. one of my English teachers mentioned this book about a white man who poses as a black man for some time and then writes about his experience. I can’t remember what the book was called we didn’t have to read it, but I wonder if that is the psychology behind all this. some guy in virginia just got in trouble for this as well.

When I was in high school I heard of some guys painting their face black to look like Snoop Dogg because he was their idol. I didn’t understand then that it was inappropriate.

What I know now is that it’s pretty offensive.

2 Likes

im a forgiving person, so typically don’t pay much attention to the scandals in the news.

Yes! It is offensive NOW…decades ago it wasn’t. So why are we judging a person on beviour from his 20’s?

The whole uproar here in Canada over this, is for the birds in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yea that makes sense.

I want to apologize for my mis-statement. I know this is offensive, what I meant to say is im not easily offended growing up in a shock jock culture and all. and im a forgiving person, if he survives re-election I won’t hold this over his head. but I do think it raises questions about his youthful psychology and maybe he isn’t fit for leadership. I suspect he lived a sheltered life where he could get away with this. but don’t know much about him honestly and I don’t typically follow Canadian politics, but will be interested to see what happens on election day.

1 Like

Back then, things have been different. I am sure he just painted it for fun. Nonetheless, painting face in black can be seen as an offensive act to African-Canadians or descendants of those who escaped to Canada from US due to slavery.

He is a passionate supporter of Aboriginal rights. So his views contradict his past…past is past. He’s doing great work now.

4 Likes

Idk how to feel. I’m 100% white (according to my dna :dna: test) so I wouldn’t know how an African-Canadian person feels about it. I’m sure it would be hurtful.

1 Like

I went to that Ancestry site and found out I’m 10% Irish…10% Scottish…and 80% Jackass!

:joy:

It’s like calling me a “yellow person”. I am Korean of Chinese ancestry. So if someone was to offensively point out my ethnicity with my skin colour, I will be offended. I think it may be similar to a black person.

1 Like

Well there’s a tradition in our family that we are part Cherokee and we certainly look it but it doesn’t show up in the DNA.

1 Like

I just have a big problem when people dig into the past and find decades-old stuff on someone.

We were all jerks sometimes in our teens and early 20’s. Then hopefully you learn…mature…and become a better person from it all.

3 Likes

I definitely did some real jackass things as a 20 year old. If someone found that old dirt on me, I’m sure I’d have a lot to answer for. But I wasn’t being malicious at the time. I just hadn’t yet learned why my actions were wrong. Once I learned, I never did it again. I think what matters now is how he responds. If he takes responsibility for his past actions and denounced them as wrong, and shows he has learned, that’s good. If he just tries to laugh it off and dismiss the criticism, that would be worrying. I haven’t followed the story, but he seems like the type to have the first response. He’s very committed to equality and diversity in his actions and his legislature. It would be hard to imagine him telling people to not be so sensitive.

4 Likes

Transgendered women’s identity aren’t men who dress up as women, and you wouldn’t be pretending to be a man who dressed up as a woman, you would be one. So no, not likely.

4 Likes

People can change. There was a man I used to work with was just a pompous arrogant jerk. Then he had a great tragedy in his family. Now he’s just the nicest guy in the world.

3 Likes