Can Ziprasidone make you less hungry than usual

I am taking a higher dose of Ziprasidone and notice that my hunger has become very low. Can Ziprasidone lead to weight loss? I don’t mean whether Ziprasidone induces weight loss by replacing an antipsychotic, but whether it reduces weight in its own right?

I sometimes lost weight on higher meds because I had less stress and ate less because of it. Less symptoms.

1 Like

I was fine, but I wasn’t feeling too hungry on Ziprasidone. I started taking it without food, and some symptoms came back. I have raised the dose for now-- I am well. I don’t think it is the higher dose making me feel better that is causing the hunger to subside. I have read research that as a group people lose weight on Ziprasidone, but I am not sure if the reason for weight loss in the trial was switching antipsychotic medication, or it was Ziprasidone itself that led to weight loss in people who were medication-free before starting therapy.

1 Like

Ziprasidone made me dread food because you have to take it with 500 calories and I was taking it twice a day. So I think I lost weight because I didn’t want to eat as much

1 Like

I wish this was the case for me, but it’s not.

2 Likes

Sorry to say this. But large doses
Of Geodon makes food untasted.

Not for me. No issues.

When I said large doses I meant 240 mg and above. At 160 mg Ziprasidone that I take now I find most foods very tasty.

Ziprasidone is known to cause less hunger/cravings. You should always count your calories anyway to maintain weight

Some people have lost weight on Ziprasidone. I take it twice a day, 20mg in the morning and 80mg at night. I haven’t lost too much weight on it. I have to really restrict my calories to lose weight on it. I have no appetite on it though. So restricting calories is easy.

Typically, we like to leave inactive threads alone and just start a new thread instead. This is different than how some forums are run, but we do it this way because it frequently upsets users to have old topics revived when they are no longer relevant. It can also be frustrating to the person who revived the thread when they don’t get a reply, because the original poster is no longer active or no longer finds the topic relevant. Feel free to start a new thread on this topic.

Thanks,

Volunteer Moderator

Usually a thread is considered a “Zombie Thread” after 3 months without a post.