Can you lose SSI if you are homeless

Can you lose SSI if you are homeless In California?
I’m homeless right now in Santa Cruz
And I’m scared they are going to take away my ssi
I haven’t reported to ssi that I am homeless here yet

1 Like

I am not sure about that, you may have to get a PO Box for your mail from them, cause they have to be able to mail you. Call the SS number, if you can and they ask, have them call you back on their auto line, if you’ve dealt with the number in recent years you know what I’m talking about. Make sure you can verify all your info though, otherwise that’s another mess. Or can you use a public library computer get on the site and use the FAQ?

And I suggest trying to get in with social services if you can, a social worker can help navigate this.

1 Like

Can you get in touch with a local clubhouse or case worker? They can help you with ssi and housing.

2 Likes

Yes, you can keep yer benefits. The only exception is if your in jail.

2 Likes

I knew about prison losing benefits as hubby works for one and has to deal with the releases that aren’t preapproved in time or at all, but I know SS administration wants an address to send official mail to kept on file. That’s why I suggested the PO Box and checking with them. I had to notify 6 weeks ahead of our move 900 miles away with our new address cause I wasn’t changing banks, but they wanted the official address to confirm changes and stuff. But mine is SSDI, so they had to know about husband’s new job too, which I know doesn’t apply here, but trying to be helpful.

1 Like

Here are some useful links from the Social Security Administration (SSA):

https://www.ssa.gov/homelessness/

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/spot-homeless.htm

1 Like

@Moonbeam
Thank you a bunch!
You are very helpful!
Hope all is well with you

1 Like

@Air
Thank you!
That’s actually a good idea
I’m going to do my best and get in contact with my case worker!
I wonder if they can help me

1 Like

@Cloudd3ad
Thank you!
Very straight forward answer

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.