Schizophrenia.com

Can you keep a job with Olanzapine (Zyprexa)?

Are you able to work with Olanzapine (Zyprexa) ? Did you lose your ability to comunicate with it ? Did it improve you problem solving abilities ? Do you feel Olanzapine (Zyprexa) has helped you to keep your work ? If so, what were the things that improved when you took it ?

Hello. Yes. I have taken zyprexa a long time, and I have been able to work in some capacity most of the time.

Zyprexa keeps my symptoms of psychosis away which is essential to be able to function. I have been taking 5mg daily for a long time now. I was on 10mg before that, then it was very difficult to work because i got too much sideeffects. People could see that something was not quite right about me. I can still get that if I start working early, so I found the best option for me was to work in a shop that opens later in the day (10am), that way I get rid of the worst sideeffects before I start to work.

I found it was difficult to communicate on 10mg, it’s better now on 5. I also find it helps to have healthy habits for the brain. Avoid anything that gives me brainfog like spending too much time on internet/tv, solving mind puzzles and supplementing with herbs and vitamins to counteract the sideeffects of the drug.

2 Likes

I am taking 7,5mg. I have to look for a job at the moment. It helps me knowing that somebody who is taking the same medication is able to work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your question, for
the reply makes me feel a little better too.

I take 20mg of Olanzapine at night, my mornings are non existent and am still tired when I do get up, but my symptoms of psychosis have improved. On a bad day I take two pills not just one but … day by day

1 Like

I haven’t really been out of the house in four years but am hopeful to the future. Thank you again for your posts.

1 Like

I was mildly depressed the whole time I took Zyprexa. I craved sugar and I slept a lot. It’s not as bad for me as some med’s are, but I still don’t like it.

1 Like

I worked a full time job on 10mg Olanzapine. Problem solving was difficult as it made it hard for me to think, but I could do most tasks well enough. It actually stabilized my mood better than my current medication, but the difficulty thinking clearly was a deal-breaker for me in the end. Also it did bad things to my metabolism.

2 Likes

Did you find a medication that worked better for problem solving ?

Try Abilify, Rexulti or Vraylar. They don’t fully block dopamine. Other antipsychotics fully block dopamine. Dopamine is required for cognition. But some cognitive loss is permanent from psychosis.

2 Likes

I couldn’t live with the anxiety from Abilify. And I think Rexulti and Vraylar aren’t available where I live.

If you guys have difficulty waking up in the morning with Olanzepine, try asking your psychiatrist for Wellbutrin. It will give you a huge energy boost. I only sleep 7 hours a day on it. Wellbutrin is an off label ADHD drug so it supposedly helps with concentration and alertness also.

2 Likes

I work part time delivering ad mail. Ive had on and off fulltime jobs for about 6 months at a time. Honestly I find it very hard to have a full time job on olanzapine. My longest running job was about 6 1/2 years at a gas station, which I now attribute to an understanding owner.

1 Like

I worked taking 20mg for two years.

Basically I put on 35 kilos, and was a zombie at work until about 11am.

No idea why I did not get fired.

Safe to say when I realised it was the pill I took everyday causing it, I went ■■■■■■■ ape ■■■■

1 Like

I’m on Rexulti now. I can think clearly, but I can only work three days a week as I get stressed easily.

1 Like