Can you blame someone for your mental illness

You shouldn’t even blame yourself. How would you know?

I know what triggers it, yet continued to go down the path. Of course I mean of doing drugs. So I know one trigger at least. Putting the power in my hands means looking at what is wrong with me and coming up with solutions. We have to do something about the triggers because that is what identifying them is meant for. Doing nothing sets ourselves up for failure. Finding solutions for them is the road to recovery.

As I typed this I finally understood why my diagnosing psychiatrist gave my the paper with the information on it and said to not show it to anybody. If they knew about my triggers, all they would have is ammunition to undermine my recovery and treat me horrible to meet their own wants. Then if I complained about it to somebody, all they would have to say is I’m paranoid to the way the fits the description on the paper.

2 Likes

As I reread this, I wanted to add something. I can blame myself for letting it get out of control, but sometimes that is unavoidable, even if I take every measure to prevent craziness. I haven’t had a relapse before. So I guess this is all still new to me. Sometimes I feel like I don’t fit in these forums because you have all seemed to relapse before and I’ve never done that. Sorry guys.

1 Like

Just got back to this and I want to thank you all for you time, the one thing I need to say was even if there was someone thing to blame, it would help to recovery faster, the fear of not knowing is great in young adult … if you ask me what I would still say it is is a pollen that makes it to the bodys triggers. and thank you all again

Blame takes place of responsible actions.
It softens reality until one is ready to do something useful to help themself.

1 Like

I don’t think you can blame anyone - and its impossible to know for sure what caused it - some unknowable combination of genetic and biological predisposition and then environmental factors - everything from the vitamins your mother took during pregnancy (or didn’t take), the food she ate during pregnancy, the stress she was exposed to during pregnancy, etc.

There is no benefit to “blaming” - lots of bad things happen to good people…

4 Likes

I got asked this by my therapist and I told her no, even if it is genetic my dad didn’t intend to pass the illness down to me.

1 Like

I used to blame people for letting my brain get this way–particularly people who contributed to stressful or traumatic experiences in my life. I don’t do it anymore, but when I get really angry, I find myself retreating to this ‘blaming mentality’ again. Still, I’m not 100% sure who or what is at fault that caused my brain to be this way. There’s a part of me that believes that being born prematurely was the factor that led to me having my conditions, but I try not to get too upset over it, since I believe that there was nothing they could do about it. Instead, I feel like I should just try to live my life the best I can, even when my conditions have me feeling down and a desire to blame something or someone overcomes me.

I only blame someone when I am psychotic, Those breif moments when my medication really helps and I can have a moment with no symptoms I have no one to blame and no thoughts or feelings of blame at all.

1 Like

I haven’t relapsed either, I also feel like you sometimes.

1 Like

My dad suffered alcoholism. It filled my childhood with tremendous stress.

Jayster

That dude who punched me in the face and crashed his car

I think it is possible to blame a person for putting another into an extreme stressful situation that can provoke a break from reality.
I think someone with a series of childhood abusive incidents will be more likely to develop schizophrenia, in fact what really is the difference between this and severe PTSD? which is what I think schizo is severe PTSD based on abuse.

I blame nobody that I started hearing voices, but some people caused stress and paranoia in my life in America. I suppose I had a weak mind in that way.

Mine was a result of PTSD inspired nervous breakdown from spending time with wealthy friend who was introducing around her sex abuser. Most of the single females cracked up over it as intentions were malicious.

If this happens to you. DO NOTHING CONFRONTATIONAL. MAKE YOURSELF FEEL SAFE BY MOVING IN WITH SOMEONE OR LEAVE. Do not talk to self aloud, do not have any more contact with any of these again, just quit returning phone calls, do not follow orders from voices if you are told to do something and don’t talk about the back story. Things can get better for you. You may not have have strangers bother you if you just get lost without being confrontational. You may be stalked, just say ‘no thanks’ and ignore them after.

Sad but this kind of crap was allowed to run 20+ years in my community, mental care and cops just ruined victims to discredit them. Some were battered or assaulted.

Never had voices quit. I’ve heard it for 12 years now without a break. I just take low dose of seroquel to help make me drowsy. None of the other meds had any effect. This can be the case if you have a nervous after a fight and crack. Meds may not be useful.

I don’t think that’s always an easy one to answer. Much may depend on how you define mental illness and whether one includes latent signs and indeed how you define those latent signs.
I got bullied as a teenager for being different(physically and socially awkward) . Was that a latent sign of mental illness which would have come out at some point irrespective of outside influences ,or do we say that being different is not the same as being mentally ill but negative reactions may trigger full blown mental illness?

The child goes to his mother and asked"why i am an xy?" The mother replied because your dad is a “y” and i am an “x”. The child said" but its so difficult to be an “xy”". The mum said " we know but you get all possible support to deal with your fate being an “xy”. Sometimes you can’t see the support but later on when you look back you understand and see the helping hand. I am your mum and much more older and experienced as you. You have to trust yourself to get your faith back.The child asked “how do i get faith back?” The mother replied " give youself time, be patience and learn to understand, someday your eyes open and you will see what faith means.on that day no mountain is to high for you.On that day no valley to deep and no distance to far.

I blamed a triangle shaped rock i took from a castle…yup threw it in the ocean. And here i am 10 years later sz has never been worse…blaming is waste if time at least on this kind of thing…

1 Like

I blame bad genes overall.

Mental illnesses like Anxiety, Panic Disorder, Major Depression runs in my family.

I got the short end of the stick and ended up with Bipolar Type 1 or Schizoaffective Disorder.

Doing that hit of Mescaline in College did not help matters either.

■■■■■■■ sucks for sure

If I want to get technical, I can blame my parents for the genes I got that caused it, but it’s not like they picked which genes I got when my sperm fertilized my egg.