Can you be reasoned out of delusions?

If you’re in psychosis and someone just repeatedly tells you that your delusions are not based on reality and are false is it possible to realise they are not true and snap out of psychosis?

1 Like

Generally speaking, no this doesn’t work.

5 Likes

Didn’t work for me. I was paranoid the whole time in psychosis. I trusted no one, not even family. It took medications to get me to be reasonable.

2 Likes

No…deffinately not…for me that is

2 Likes

I think that it is rare. But there are some who are open to logic. These are the rarer cases IMO. When I was deep in psychosis I did not listen to logic.

I think particularly some people with some insight may be willing to listen to reasonable arguments against their delusions.

The vast majority of those with no insight will completely dismiss logic, however. Can be very frustrating.

5 Likes

It’s rare but not impossible.
John Nash realized something was amiss when his wife threatened to leave him. He understood his so-called friends weren’t real because they hadn’t aged a bit in the many years he’d hallucinated them.
So he agreed to resume his treatment.
But some people have zero insight and cannot be reasoned with.

2 Likes

Yes, but new delusions and false evidences will continue to pile up if you dont get help sleeping and relaxing from medicine. You can be convinced that its all a delusion fine and well but what happens next. A voice explains all that away with new delusions. You can fight it yes but its best to cut it off from the source with medicine. With less and less sleep youll grow more tired of fighting it.

2 Likes

Not really. My pdoc tried to reason me out of one I have (that I can kill someone with my thoughts) and I kept on “reasoning” with him till he gave up lol.

3 Likes

Part of my recovery was going through a middle-of-the-road phase where reality checking got me back in reality for a day or two each time I did it. Then eventually I just stayed non-delusional and didn’t need to reality check anymore. During the first couple years though I couldn’t be reasoned with.

They do this, and I know they know they’re apart of it.

You’re all apart of it though, whether you know it or not.

Everyone lives with their own delusions, mental illness or no. I don’t see why mine classify me as psychotic, and others are embraced by society.

1 Like

No. Not by ratio-oriented arguments. I believe a loss of reality is not the main issue with psychosis. What is real anyway? Who knows? I indeed think we all have delusions. Some are shared by whole cultures, some are individual.

For me psychosis is a loss of trust. I get scared of myself, other people, the world, the future and more. Trust can’t be restored by rational reasoning. It can be in other ways. Though that’s difficult if someone is so terrified, I have noticed that some people manage to reach me still. Sometimes by a very gentle approach, where they are very real and attentive and gentle. Sometimes with prayer. Sometimes in other ways. I have multiple times snapped out of psychosis and more than once someone kind was the reason I broke out of my distrust and started to trust again. Then all the scary thoughts would disappear too.

2 Likes

It helped me a great deal, but I’m one of those who is more swayed by logic than emotion.

2 Likes

It depends what the delusion is. If my delusion was that I was a cookie, I might be persuaded it was false if someone said that I don’t fit inside a jar. :smiling_face:

1 Like

no when i am in psychoses i dont believe anyone takes med changes or in bad psychoses it takes hospital

No, i can’t be reasoned or talked out of my delusions

Zero insight

1 Like

That will only make the patient more angry and violent imo

1 Like

I specifically read this on a hospital website to no try to reason with a psychotic person as sometimes its dangerous for both.

1 Like

Get someone to do it to themselves. I’ve known things I rejected as true because they were too unbearable. If my voices go away when I don’t believe in them doesn’t that account for something?

“If they are acting out hallucinations, stay calm, call 911, and tell the dispatcher they have schizophrenia. While you wait for paramedics, don’t argue, shout, criticize, threaten, block the doorway, touch them, or stand over them. Also avoid direct eye contact, which could make them feel threatened.”

1 Like

What do you mean?