Can Setraline trigger psychosis in those without bipolar?

Make sz symptoms worst? Has it happened to you?

Or maybe another antidepressant did it to you?

1 Like

Wellbutrin made me hyper and ocd. I can’t have SNRIs. I can only have SSRIs

1 Like

Yes antidepressants can trigger a manic response or psychotic episode in those non bipolar patients BUT chances of this happening are low.

Antidepressants are more likely to trigger mania and psychosis in those suffering with a bipolar disorder.

My educated guess would be that you suffer with either bipolar or Schizoaffective/bipolar type.

3 Likes

It can if you’re not also on a mood stabilizer (if you, like me, have SZA bipolar type, or just bipolar).

2 Likes

Get on a mood stabilizer and don’t get on an antidepressant @Milly

2 Likes

I take sertraline in combination with clozapine and lamotrigine. Antidepressants on their own are scary for me. Wellbutrin even in combination was absolutely awful!
I have schizoaffective disorder. Without sertraline I get very depressed.

1 Like

Sertraline was the worst antidepressant for making me psychotic.
But now I can become psychotic from bipolar without taking anything to cause it.
It is the constant mix of depression and agitated mania combined with insomnia that is causing it.
I have started a new medication called Duloxetine and it makes my brain feel nice and helps me sleep.

1 Like

I’m not bipolar, but sertraline definitely triggers psychosis in me.

1 Like

SZA depressive here. Never made me manic. Helps with the depressive swings.

If you’re susceptible to mania, it may not be the drug for you.

1 Like

I believe it can. I went psychotic in 2014 after I had been treated with sertraline, and I’m not bipolar. In the period 2014-2016 I wasn’t seen by a therapist or a pdoc, so I believe that the psychosis went on for 2 years, I thought I was doing absolutely great at the time. Which of course I wasn’t. I was spending a lot of money, sleeping with a lot of men and was into some weird spiritual stuff

1 Like

That sounds a lot like mania.

2 Likes

Yes I would say that as well, but I have been to a lot of psychiatric tests and they all agreed that I’m not bipolar.

2 Likes

I take sertraline… It hasn’t triggered psychosis for me. It’s been helping with my depression. I’m on a very low dose. My moods aren’t all over the place anymore…

1 Like

I take three AP’s and an AD. My AD is Celexa. Celexa doesn’t trigger manic psychosis in me. It just prevents me from eating too much. (When my mood dips, I tend to eat more).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.