Can Risperidone cause acromegaly?

My prolactin level came around 400 and my doctor ordered MRI Scan and I am waiting on the results .Because I am having pain in toes and feet ,does anyone here know about pituitary tumour causing acromegaly ?

1 Like

@tina, I’ve never heard of Risperidone causing acromegaly. But, I know that acromegaly is caused by a non cancerous tumor of the pituitary gland in the brain. This tumor then stimulates too much production of growth hormone, or GH, which causes enlargement of body parts such as the face, hands and feet.

Risperidone can definitely cause prolactin levels to increase.

1 Like

@SkinnyMe I heard Risperidone causing prolactinoma because of high prolactin but trying to get information about it causing acromegaly.

1 Like

@tina, The normal ranges for blood prolactin levels are: 2-18 nanograms/ml for males, 2-29 ng/ml for non pregnant females, and 10- 209 ng/ml for pregnant females. Your prolactin level was around 400 ng/ml or sky high. This might indicate that you have a pituitary gland tumor. And pituitary gland tumors cause acromegaly. Risperidone doesn’t cause acromegaly.

I was searching for it and got a case report which states risperidone caused acromegaly after long term usage as it can cause pituitary tumours.

1 Like

@tina, Really? That’s news to me. I’ve been on risperidone for many, many years and I’ve never heard that from my pdoc. I have “high” prolactin too. Should this be something I should be concerned about? I am on the injectable form of risperidone and have been for a long time. I don’t remember what my last Prolactin level was though.

@SkinnyMe you dont have to worry till u start getting symptoms as I am getting pain in toes and fingers and my MRI results are still pending I am just hoping its not pituitary tumor but I am going to switch the medication because of the pain

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.