Can people tell that you have a mental disorder when they are around you?

Just remember thy’re just ur typical humans too. I was really shy and scared of people to and i barely talked but i built up the courage to fight back to the jerks at school. It also helped that i was the tallest one in school. Eventually i got to the point where i could say “■■■■ u” to people in school. I didn’t socialize with any of those people but i lost the thought of caring what they thought about me, like these people aren’t going to be in my life in a few years why should i give a damn. It really helped me battle their terrible thoughts of that i was the weird kid or the kid that stared or whatever. Keep ur fight simple and don’t try to attack back but be like a duck and let stuff slide off like u don’t give a ■■■■ but really deep down u do. Also having a hobby (rapping) that no one else had helped because it made it so i didn’t have to relate to everyones bs. I could just say screw u guys im going to write some rhymes or read manga

Of course. Shizophrenia almost always includes schizoid PD symptoms, including being indifferent to praise or criticism. I don’t give a ■■■■ what people say or think.

2 Likes

A tricky question for me as paranoia/ideas of reference? come into play. I don’t walk around talking loudly to myself or doing anything dramatic but I still have this belief that people can pick up I am less than normal from facial and physical mannerisms. I think I unintentionally give off these signs that say “mentally not right”.
I am always thinking “they know” when I hear laughter nearby or see someone smirking.

1 Like

I’m new here too Jake, I’m glad you are here with us.

Since I was diagnosed (19 years ago) I have never had any experience which people around me told me or they realized that I have had a mental illness.
Tolteca.

2 Likes

I have nervous, involuntary gestures when I am around people. They can tell something is wrong.

1 Like

I can hide it very well. Nobody knows. Sometimes i look tired or stressed though and people ask if i’m feeling ok. I want to be free and tell everyone but that’s tough to do.

2 Likes

According to my wife, I present rather normally when I have a social engagement, such as karaoke or shopping. I don’t talk to myself, ever. I will talk back to the voices when hallucinating. But as far as having a conversation with myself for no reason, that I do not do. I can control myself when in public or with friends. Sometimes I need a break and will wander to the car and hide for 5-10 minutes. When I start to go silent is when it’s time for me to go and head home. I was at a party for 6 hours today without a break, but I managed. Things are getting better the past couple of days.

5 Likes

People have been able to see my affective symptoms. When I have my “up” days people can notice. My friends will ask why I’m so hyper, or will joke around if I’m high or that I drank to much coffee. No one has been able to notice when I’m having psychotic symptoms. The people that know I’m SZA are surprised when I tell them about the “schizo” part, but not so much about the bipolar “affective” part.

2 Likes

No one can tell, my pdoc even told me that looking at me no one could ever tell. I had a few reactions that I find funny, one was people on my classroom noticing my anxiety, and I had the shakes also and it showed. I’m taking medication for that but kept that to myself and everybody said I was much better, all I needed was to get to know them… lol I don’t even like them all that much, just a handful of people are okay there.
A friend of mine, that knows I had psychosis but doesn’t know I have sz, said that if I had a mental illness it would show, so I shouldn’t worry about it. lol…
Another one, a closest friend that I told I have sz, said that she also believes in telepathy, so I’m not for sure because telepathy is real lol… She was sweet, I explained it better and she was like "Ohhh alright then, you’re a bit crazy, I knew that already, glad you have a sense of humor about it"
But yeah, in my psychotic break everyone could tell. For a year especially there I was the crazy one. The first year of the psychotic break I could hide it pretty well.

1 Like

Yes i am sure people can tell there is something wrong with me, always tried to be honest about my ills, both in body and head unlike here i am overly shy quiet barely speak at all if then is a whisper let i know the person really tell so means the only person i talk with a normal level would be my mom and one doc coz she is so damm cool and we all get on is like omg. With that i stand out of being so quiet sometimes my ninja skills are so great people do not seen me right there.

So i think i give off signs of not being with the normal range that others think of being normal or off my meds is as clear as the sun, i am damaged no hiding it then when i ams een is more the reaction to my body if scars on neck show etc others focus on thats just as bad as that reaction normally always leaves to whispers of she has to mental! or crazy look at them! look at her or is my every changing body language i know i give off signs

1 Like

I think that others can tell eventually - I come across as beig aloof and stand offish, its probably my anxiety.

I dont cozy up to others the way a lot of other “normal” people do.

I can be very tense and “aware” of my environment - it probably shows.

1 Like

Birds can be cruel. Chickens, for instance, will peck to death any member of their flock that has something wrong with it. They can tell when something’s not right and they ostracize and kill that individual. People can be cruel. From childhood I have been odd-chicken-out.

Yes some people can tell

People easily peg me as a socially awkward nerd or introvert at social gatherings as I head into the corner and dive into my phone’s interface. I don’t talk to other people unless I have to and I have all kinds of tricks to make sure I don’t have to. Do I act SZ in public? No. Almost everyone I’ve ever worked with who I’ve disclosed to has told me they wouldn’t have guessed if I had never said anything.

Pixel.

1 Like

I think people can tell that I’m different…

I don’t think anyone looks at me and says… “Oh Sz… I see it”

But when I’m out and about… doing my job… I’m just doing my job…

Since I am a gardener / landscaper… talking to plants… not a problem…

Arguing with plants and loosing… that might be a tip off. :wink:

2 Likes

As much as I work to keep things together, this stuff kind of leaks out. Eventually people notice there’s something wrong but it can take a while.

1 Like

I don’t know, but I swear that people can tell just by looking at you. I had this one woman I know, at this extended care facility where I live, look at me with disgust the first moment she laid eyes on me. I swear! And she has hated me ever since. She treats me like absolute dirt. She treats everybody else kindly. I know. I watch her. My attitude is to, "Kill her with kindness."
I used to frequent this one club, that was the social hangout for people like me. It was my subculture. Well, they all ostracized me there, I swear. I was a complete pariah in that club. And, I never knew why they were rejecting me. Now, I know why. They all sensed I was different.

2 Likes