Can other people cause your psychosis?

I have been having to write stuff out about past traumas for therapy homework, and I am remembering some things. Can psychosis be caused by other people, if they repeatedly try to make you believe in a lot of really ■■■■■■ up things? I got involved in a group of people who made me believe a lot of stuff was happening and I had visions and physical experiences to go along with it that they explained as being for real reasons. I later learned after a long time were not real, but now I still get those symptoms.

3 Likes

Toxic people will contribute to things but they don’t cause it. Trouble with psychosis is that it all becomes involved in your delusions and what you are experiencing may be different from what others do. Reason why it’s psychosis.

6 Likes

Yeah I agree with rogueone, contribute but not cause. I’ve had a psychotic episode while someone else was having a psychotic episode and we both took a trip to the ER o.O

1 Like

For me the cause and contribution to psychosis were bunch of people. It might not be possible scientifically but personally I was mistreated both physically and emotionally by bunch of people who are very close relative of mine. As early as when I was 3 years old they sowed the seed of hate in me and not only me they hated my whole family. They still do. It is distressing and causing lot of stress. They are 3 families with children and grand children. They could very well be helpful but unfortunately not. Have to deal with life minus them and just have to look at positive side to life without them going forth.

2 Likes

Yes. They can.

I had not become psychotic without the abuse of that time.
I had not stayed psychotic, had my family healed. And allowed for my healing. People can mess with your mind.

2 Likes

I wish I wasn’t abused and bullied. It would have been so much better on my mental health in the future.

3 Likes

For me it was bullies who made fun of me for being private and not wanting to talk to others.and others trying to pry themselfs in to my life And my father who was very paranoid himself.

1 Like

My father worsens my psychosis

1 Like

This is very true they can act as a trigger or root cause for later problems with regards to your mental health or your well being.
Gaslighting and other maladaptive pursuits can mess you up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.