Can mentally ill have children

Of course we can. I mean, generally this is passed down so someone in our line had kids. So will we. There are other qualities we get passed down beneficial to all.

When I feel stable in my mind(and am older) I will try to have kids. However, I would not want to pass this to them sadly…

1 Like

I think this is a complicated question and it does come down to the individual. People of any mental state should think about what it takes to be a parent and make their decision carefully. Many people with MI need to focus on themselves and it’s hard to do that and raise a child. I got pregnant while seperated from my abusive (ex) husband. We were trying to work things out. My son is a blessing and the joy of my life, BUT he was abused by his dad, I had to live with my parents to be able to be a decent mom, and my son does have schizophrenia. Would I go back and have him never be born? Ofcourse not, but I wish I could’ve done more for him and I wish he didn’t have sz. It’s a tough question and a tough decision.

I have schizophrenia and I am the father of two. One is 23 and the other is 16. The older one’s mom and I divorced when he was 6 months old. I am schizophrenic, but she is crazy. Anyway, he never had much to do with me because of the lies she would tell him. We recently reunited last July, and have been close since. I even have a grandchild.

I have custody of my youngest child, and my wife helps raise him. She treats him as if he was her own. His mom and I were never married. I am taking him out this weekend to teach him how to drive.

1 Like

I’m currently pregnant and with any luck will be having a kid in a couple months. So yeah, sz’s can have kids. I think there is a lot more precautions that need to go into it and a lot more care that needs to be taken to make sure you stay stable enough to care for another person, but I don’t think the sz alone is enough to automatically rule out parenting.

Yes, they can and do. Next question.

2 Likes

Two parents incapacitated by the same illness at the same time is a horrible thing to do to any child. My normie wife has had to run the household on more than one occasion when my MI has knocked me out of commission.

Pix-o-matic.