Can alcohol trigger voices?

I drank a bottle of wine around 20:00/8pm and after waking up at 2 my voices came back.
Could it trigger voices?

sure it could. your messing with your brain chemistry

1 Like

You tend to think you are getting strange smells too.

Coming from an alcoholic. Yes it does. It interferes with the efficacy of your meds.

1 Like

Coming also from an alcoholic, my doctors advised against it. It will damage your liver if you drink and take Tylenol. Drinking also causes cirrhosis of the liver.

1 Like

Well the current methodology of anti-psychotic and anti sz treatment is to lower dopamine levels in the brain, thus alcohol raises dopamine levels in the brain in which APs try to block so it is reasonable to suggest that for those that hear voices alcohol could induce them.

“Among these, dopamine has received special attention, because several studies have found that alcohol stimulates the activity of a subset of dopamine -releasing neurons and thus enhances dopamine -mediated (i.e., dopaminergic 1) signal transmission in a discrete brain area called the nucleus accumbens” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6826820/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.