Call centre job advice?

Does anyone work in a call centre doing customer service/sales? Quality assurance is super strict and I’m scared I wont pass my productivity score :sweat_smile: Were allowed to take as many breaks as we want(unpaid) but I have to be super ON and energetic/positive and I find myself spacing out our ALOT during calls.

3 Likes

@Pikasaur might be able to help.

1 Like

I worked in a call center for credit cards, had to call ppl to pay their debts. Its my worst job. Quit after 2 weeks.

3 Likes

I think the job was called debt collector.

2 Likes

I work for a call center but I do data entry. I tried answering phones for a while but I was not very good. I got a lot of criticism from quality control about being monotone, uninterested, and not engaging with the callers.

4 Likes

Debt collection work is very stressful ya, I just work on a referral line for senior care, it’s kind of straightforward and I get to work from home but feedback/scoring is very strict, I’m also taking calls backtoback so there’s that

3 Likes

I couldn’t do a job like that, just the thought of dealing with unhappy customers a lot of the time, no thanks.

I rarely have to deal with customers at my job. I’m a delivery driver and sometimes they will be out watering their flowers or sitting on their porch when I drop off a package and they are always happy to get the stuff they ordered online, even ecstatic if it is arriving early… I’ve never had to deal with an unhappy person yet at my job.

My other job freelancing as a computer technician, I deal with people who are worried, scared and confused about their computer problems but once I get everything working they are always really happy.

4 Likes

your smile comes through the phone… lol sorry corny advice but thats all i got :joy: maybe it can get you some better reviews. people like people who smile

4 Likes

I worked in call center.
My advice is not to take it personal.
Customers may be harsh.
They are not happy due to product/organization.
You just have to turn the table and make the customer feel like king.
By meeting all the quality checks for quality, and quantity for managers.
Since I was more worried I was more focused on quality. And finally became a QA for my team.
Taking calls is multitasking, I suggest you to also ask your psychologist for any relaxing technics.
As I used to do Jacobson relaxing exercise to become more productive at work.
In fact, I also got rewards and recognitions from client.

3 Likes

I worked in a call center too.
My job was tech support for a supermarket.
It wasn’t awful.
That was my best job since I “failed” in the others. (because of psychosis crisis.)

4 Likes

I worked in a call center did phone and chat support for three retail companies. It was hectic especially around Christmas. I preferred chat to taking calls. I also did some technical support. Don’t take things personally, try to build conversation with customers and go above and beyond… in some cases it is hard to but help az much as possible…

4 Likes

I work as a sales account manager. So I do have to make some calls but not too many. I’m not scored on my calls.
As long as I sell repeat or new jobs there happy. It’s pretty relaxed at my place as long as you’re making the company money.
I do a fair bit of emails

2 Likes

So I got an evaluation today and I got a 80% on my calling score. It’s slightly better than the passing 73% so I’m pleased with that. Wooo! It’s tiring to keep so so positive and upbeat all the time but I was told you get better as the weeks go by. Thanks for all the tips and replies everyone, I really appreciate it. It’s been nerve-wracking :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Good job on getting that score. I’ve had plenty of different types of call centre jobs in the past. Mainly customer service. Here’s what I’ve learned that helps make customers and your supervisors happier:

• Never tell a customer there’s nothing you can do for them. You should always be looking for a way that you can end the call with a solved problem. The exception to this would be if they’re asking you to do something that is against company policy, and if they don’t like that when you tell them that, offer to let them speak to your supervisor for more information.
  • If they want you to follow a script, just make sure you follow it word-for-word every time. QA looks at this part closely.
  • Certain phrases can make you sound more friendly and helpful than if they’re omitted. Here are some examples: “I’m sorry, you don’t have enough points to redeem for this gift card” instead of just “You don’t have enough points to redeem for this gift card”, or “Sure, I can help you with that - what kind of plan are you interested in?” instead of just “What kind of plan are you interested in?”
  • Try to leave thorough, detailed notes in the call log after every call, so that if the customer calls back and references the call they had with you, the agent who gets the call can look at your notes and get a clear idea of what went on. This is another big one that QA looks at.

That’s all I can think of for now.

3 Likes

Congrats, that is very good! Where i went to school 80% was considered an A grade. Kudos!

At my job they want a minimal efficiency score of 95%. I haven’t had any evaluations yet so I have no idea where I stand or how it is calculated.

1 Like

Thanks headspark! I was honestly beating my myself up over this the entire week so I’m pleasently surprised :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few tips:
Get enough sleep.
Make sure you have some time to wind down when you get home.

Don’t be afraid to take a break when you need it.
If you can, do breathing exercises during bathroom breaks to reduce stress

Try to tell the customer what you CAN do instead of what you can’t. Even if what you can do is just transfer the call or look into things and call back later. They will feel like you want to help.

Do not make a promise to a customer unless you’re 120% sure you can keep it. Try not to make the promises too specific.
If the promise is to call back with an update, and you either don’t have an update or won’t be able to call at that time, contact them and let them know you’re working on it, that you haven’t forgotten, and give them a timeframe for when to expect a call.

Look into the rules for Gwg.
Gwg means good will gestures. Even though there are specific prices for things, some circumstances may allow you to reduce prices or give free items.
Give them to nice customers as a token of gratitude, and give it to upset customers to de escalate.
If a customer is being an arsehole and/or asks for the gwg, pretend there’s no such thing. You don’t want those people to think throwing a tantrum gets them benefits.

Don’t be afraid to ask the QA what points you’re being scored on, and what is required for a good score.

And don’t take personal abuse from a customer.
If they’re angry and frustrated at the company, let them vent.
If they get personal, ie “YOU are stupid and useless!” Tell them you cannot continue the conversation if they won’t speak to you properly. If they keep going, end the call and write in the log that they were abusive.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.