Buying myself a new PC for once

My Photoshop system died on me and all signs point to the motherboard being shot. It’s an older Dell Precision T3600 w/dual 8 core Xeons and 64 GB of RAM. It’s been a workhorse, but it’s aging out. The video card is an old Nvidia Quadro 4000. It runs off of two striped SSD drives on a RAID controller. This is 2012 tech and it’s a beast in terms of power consumption. I can buy another used one for parts, but…

I’d just like to have a new machine for a change. Every PC I personally use is something I have purchased refurbished for cheap or have built myself out of scavenged parts. I’d like to run the latest for a change. A Dell Vostro 3020T is on the way. It’s got a 16-core 13th gen i7 CPU, 64 GB of RAM, and a 1TB Nvme SSD. The video card is a 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Super. I think it will be good enough for running Photoshop and doing a bit of video editing. I’m not a PC gamer so I’m not concerned with gaming performance.

I’m considering also getting a higher-end, HDR monitor like @rogueone has.

9 Likes

Have you consider a Macbook pro?

No. I don’t feel Apple products offer good value for their performance level.

1 Like

Big purchase. Exciting for the projects work you do.

Sounds like a beautiful computer

Uh, color me dumb, I don’t know what any of that means. I just press the keys.

2 Likes

I dont keep up with new tech much these days but i thought currently Ryzen were the best cpus, its what ill get when i next upgrade.

They’re currently leading if you’re a gamer. A Ryzen X3D w/DDR5 RAM is way above what I wanted to spend, however. Also more than is needed for Photoshop, which is my primary use for the system. The Intel Raptor Lake CPUs are good for mostly desktop use with occasional video rendering.

I like my Google pixel book

Yeah that should do well for you for a whiles. I’m pretty happy with my Prism+ 34in monitor. Their stuff is really cheap as they are relatively new to the market but it’s good gear. Based in Singapore so don’t know where they are built but for the price very competitive.

1 Like

Not a PC gamer?! Oh my… :flushed:

1 Like

I play retro games from the 80s/90s and I’m into 3D gaming with my Quest 2.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.