@bowens, try and learn tablature

@Bowens if you already heard about tablature for guitar just forget I said it but I thought you should know you can find loads of guitar tablature online.

4 Likes

He’s said he’s going to sleep in his last post this morning.

2 Likes

Yeah, I started out studying tablature and chords, but decided it would be better to study standard notation instead for now.

What I really need to work on atm is finger flexibility, as I’m having a difficult time reaching all the frets with fingers. This makes me jump around to hit them, which makes it slow and I end up getting buzzing alot from not getting close enough to fret. It’s my biggest issue at the moment.

1 Like

Learning by ear is the best option. Standard notation is fine, but tablature is awful for your musicianship imo

standard notation is for the birds…tablature all the way !!

2 Likes

Most guitarists dont learn or need standard notation

Tabs all the way

1 Like

Agreed. No other way to do it for the banjo.

1 Like

I plan on learning both eventually. There is certainly no harm in learning standard notation. Tablature is easier to learn but I think there is an advantage to learning notation as well.

Either way, like I said, my primary focus is on getting my finger flexibility worked on atm. Without that, I play either method slowly because I constantly have to jump around. I need to be able to hit the frets without moving my hand so much.

be careful to go at a very slow pace when learning something. the key is memorizing a song so you can sing to it…I usually learned songs by chords only to sing along to at first…no one likes a guitar player who can’t sing too. I mean for a few songs of instrumentals it’s o k…but people like to be entertained by singing too.

No one liked Eddie Van Halen? lol.

I guess I’ll have to hire someone to sing for me then, cause I can’t sing.

anyone can sing…take lessons…you can do it man…it would be so great if you would sing along…or ok, go the solo guitar monster that you are… if it is your destiny, I approve.

1 Like

Maybe @Bowens can scream
Hard vocals are awesome too

2 Likes

Lol. Yes, I know how to scream, this is true.

3 Likes

You can be an acoustic screamo singer.

:stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness I’m so happy you’re learning guitar. I’ll never forget my own joy when I finally learned how to transition easily between 3 chords.

3 Likes

I played guitar from 10 years old until i was 24 when i got sz
The sz ruined it for me now all i do is play video games and watch tv

3 Likes

I know how to read music for guitar, notation. I would suggest no more than 15 minutes practice a day.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.