Black sheep

My brother recently married and my close cousin married as well. I feel like the black sheep of the family. I hardly see my relatives anymore and have become a bit of a black sheep of the family. I’d like to turn it around and be more involved in their lives. What should I do? On the one hand, I’d like to be more involved and then there’s the other part of me that wants to segregate myself from them. I don’t do well in group settings, even with family; I ruminate on the time spent together and often times it will lead to suicidal ideations.

I know the adult thing to do is to suck it up and be a part of the family. The safety part in me tells me to retreat and to protect my well being. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yeah it’s hard but it’s worth it. Conversation has some rules and it’s not that hard. You listen then respond to visual and auditory cues. It can be learned and it’s something that practice really does make you better.

I’ve always found one person who’se more like you in families. It’s rare there’s others who are all different from you. If your uncomfortable then plan some exit strategies. ie. Visit with someone and just say your dropping through doing something. If it gets too much be nice and get yourself out of there.

I know I do better than most but I have continually stressed myself and put myself in situations to where I rarely get anxiety these days. It just becomes second nature. I’m not saying you’ll get there tomorrow…but we all have to start somewhere!

2 Likes

I feel like the black sheep as well. My siblings r both social and successful. I am the opposite. The only thing I can recccomend is sending them a message, and if they don’t respond, don’t take it personally. They may be busy or forgot to respond.

1 Like

I have wished my family would take a little time to study schizophrenia to understand me. My extended family is somewhat distant and may not like me. My immediate family (mother, father, and siblings) is excellent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.