Bipolar/sza if only substance induced?

Am I considered bipolar/sza if I get mania only from substances like ADs, Abilify and serotonin supplements like 5htp?

1 Like

well my anxiety disorder was substance abuse. I ended up smoking so much pot in my teens that I developed a lifelong anxiety disorder with mild dissociation affecting personality.

I continued to smoke it into my 30’s though. I prefered spice for a while because it didn’t make me socially, personality wise paranoid. Damn i feel like a junkie talking about drugs but i could do it all day.

now these days it’s just CBD for me. no paranoia. I had a love hate relationship with pot.

I came out of my dissociation at about 36. 16 to 36. I think that’s all that’s wrong with me if you include amnesia in my teens and early 20’s but maybe it’s not real.

The mania is not lifelong for me. Like I said, it only happens when I take Abilify or other medications and supplements.

The mania disappears when I stop the medication or supplement inducing it.

1 Like

Yes you may very well have an underlying mood disorder.
Certain meds like Abilify can induce mania, it did for me.

1 Like

I’ve seen that fellow bipolars/sza seem to get manic with ADs while people who don’t have it don’t get that reaction at all. Mania felt so good to me that i kept taking the ADs now i have to be careful.

1 Like

Well if you are no longer that way when you come off those drugs no. My Dad got a brief period of psychosis from marijuana that ended soon after he quit it. He was never considered to be mentally ill.

1 Like

But i thought that abilify was one of the best meds for treating bipolar and schizoaffective? It couldnt be if it induces mania.

1 Like

It doesn’t generally, only does for a minority.

1 Like

Might be a good question to ask your new pdoc when you get one

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.