Better days and Lesser days

I guess most of us experience this: some days my symptoms are rough and some days my symptoms are gone. I used to worry about getting rid of my symptoms once and for all and forever. Then, when they’d return I’d get all bummed out. That approach had to change.

I’ve learned that if I work at this and not be passive, the best results happen. For example, I’ve developed a rule: “never believe the delusional thinking no matter how real it seems.” That’s worked well. A part of me somewhere inside still sorta believes the delusional thoughts, but now I fight against that.

It’s a lot better than the old days when I’d just go with the delusional thoughts - fully believing them and acting accordingly. Now, I don’t have to believe them, I don’t have to cooperate with them. I can instead choose to be healthy and act healthy. What a relief it is, what a sense of control and even power; I no longer ever have to cooperate with delusional thoughts.

Some days are good, some days aren’t as good. The thoughts come back, they try to force me to believe in them. On other days they’re just gone completely. But it’s all better. And by taking an active stand things continue to get better.

Thanks to everyone here.

4 Likes

You are on the right track-keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Sounds like the right mindset :slight_smile:
I do the same myself. My therapist says it’s healthy to aknowledge the delusions as delusions, and to understand that it isn’t out fault if we do in fact believe in some of them. It’s hard work to keep pushing them aside, and to reconcile with the fact that our brains are ill and come up with these thoughts.

Good work, @raff228 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

sounds like you have things under control, I have a consistent delusion that is hard to ignore or even WANT to think of as being just a delusion.

I mean who doesn’t like the idea of getting phone calls from the loved ones who have passed on?

1 Like

@Minnii - that’s an excellent point: I think to some degree I do take the blame for the delusions, but they’re not my fault. And it’s good to acknowledge the hard work of pushing them aside. So to some extent, I need to let myself of the hook.

1 Like