Schizophrenia.com

Best medications

Just wondering which medications have the least amount of side effects?
I have a 37 year old son who has been on Prolixin { injections } for at least 10 years. Now, he has severe tremors which he has to take cogentin for. He is also starting to have seizures-blanking out so to speak, ending up in a hospital with no memory of how he got there. Resperidal is not good for him.Are there any new treatments? Thanks.

Try the newer atypicals, Geodon, Latuda, Abilify, Zyprexa. I take Geodon and just have akathisia (restless legs) and I take propanolol and xanax for anxiety which also help the akathisia. There’s always Clozapine, a last resort drug with a potentially lethal side effect, but if it doesnt kill you it usually works wonders. They make you take blood tests weekly to make sure it wont kill you, they take you right off of it if the blood tests show an abnormal white blood cell count, which can kill you.

But try the newer atypicals, I am on one of them and it works like a charm with only one side effect which other drugs fix.

1 Like

Zyprexa was good-but he did not like the weight gain. The nurse will not prescribe xanax or even clonapin for his anxiey because of past drug-abuse. His anxiety is severe. Thank you for your response

I remember hearing at AA, “If your hands shake that bad, sit on them.”

It turns out, when one has been clean from the drug abuse for about 35 years and still complains of anxiety, they throw benzodiazepenes at one. At least, that’s my experience. Not sure I’m a big fan of Xanax and such, but I have enough to attract drug abusers to break into my house and steal them at this point.

I recommend exercise, but, please, somehow get me to take my own advice!

If the Prolixin is not working when it did work previously, perhaps a dosage change is in order. I usually know when my dosages are off, but it takes a wiseman to determine if I’m talking too much or too little. I’ve invested in getting wisemen involved in my life!

Good wishes,

Jayster

2 Likes

Try abilify,

It seems to work very well for me with very few side effects.

I was on solian for a long time and that worked much better than abilfy however had more side effects for me.

Good luck in your search.

1 Like

@bridgecomet… you should try and treat this illness from a holisitic perspective. Psychiatrists are spoofers when to comes to treating this illness. They will admit that anti psychotics fail a lot.

Anyway my point is keep an open mind as to trying other things. Schizophrenia, for many people is spiritual in nature. Thus, treating the illness from a holistic perspective is wise.

Me personally I delved into spirituality. I got associated with spiritual stuff. The Buddhists, and religious organisations helped me. I volunteered at a homeless hostel run by a Christian organisation (the Legion of Mary). They helped me a lot to overcome my spiritual paranoia.

Anyway, I just want to tell you that psychiatrists are quacks. The definition of a quack is someone who falsely claims expert knowledge on a subject.

I personally have very little time for my psychiatrist. He dismisses my talk about the spiritual nature of this illness, yet he never in his life experienced my illness. He is arrogant. I have no time for him.

Anyway, you sound like a very caring parent and we are all here to support you on these forums. So keep up the posting. Also, your son may be having a desperate time at the moment but he will improve. This illness can just bog you down at times. But you do improve. It just takes time and patience. He will get better.

1 Like

Also bridgecomet, heres some info that I think is good for you. I copied and pasted it from my personal files…

Schizophrenia and the family: How to help your loved one

If a family member or someone close to you has schizophrenia, you may be struggling with any number of difficult emotions, including fear, guilt, anger, frustration, and hopelessness. The illness may be difficult for you to accept. You may feel helpless in the face of your loved one’s symptoms. Or you may be worried about the stigma of schizophrenia, or confused and embarrassed by strange behaviors you don’t understand. You may even be tempted to hide your loved one’s illness from others.

In order to deal successfully with schizophrenia and help your family member, it’s important to:
:black_medium_small_square:accept the illness and its difficulties
:black_medium_small_square:be realistic in what you expect of the person with schizophrenia and of yourself
:black_medium_small_square:maintain a sense of humor

Do your best to help your family member feel better and enjoy life, pay the same attention to your own needs, and remain hopeful.

Tips for helping a family member with schizophrenia
:black_medium_small_square:Educate yourself. Learning about schizophrenia and its treatment will allow you to make informed decisions about how best to manage the illness, work toward recovery, and handle setbacks.
:black_medium_small_square:Reduce stress. Stress can cause schizophrenia symptoms to flare up, so it’s important to create a structured and supportive environment for your family member. Avoid putting pressure on your loved one or criticizing perceived shortcomings.
:black_medium_small_square:Set realistic expectations. It’s important to be realistic about the challenges and limitations of schizophrenia. Help your loved one set and achieve manageable goals, and be patient with the pace of recovery.
:black_medium_small_square:Empower your loved one. Be careful that you’re not taking over and doing things for your family member that he or she is capable of doing. Try to support your loved one while still encouraging as much independence as possible.

Helping people with schizophrenia tip 1: Take care of yourself

In order to successfully deal with schizophrenia in a family member, you need to take care of your own needs and find healthy ways of coping with the challenges you and your loved one face.

Put on your own “oxygen mask” first

Keeping a positive outlook is much easier when you have others you can turn to for support. Like your loved one with schizophrenia, you too need help, encouragement, and understanding. When you feel supported and cared for, you, in turn, will be better able to support and care for your loved one.
:black_medium_small_square:Join a support group. One of the best ways to cope with schizophrenia is by joining a family support group. Meeting others who know first-hand what you’re going through can help reduce feelings of isolation and fear. Support groups provide an invaluable venue for the relatives of people with schizophrenia to share experiences, advice, and information.
:black_medium_small_square:Make time for yourself. Schedule time into your day for things you enjoy, whether it be spending time in nature, visiting with friends, or reading a good book. Taking breaks from caregiving will help you stay positive and avoid burnout.
:black_medium_small_square:Look after your health. Neglecting your health only adds to the stress in your life. Maintain your physical well-being by getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, eating a balanced diet, and staying on top of any medical conditions.
:black_medium_small_square:Cultivate other relationships. It’s important to maintain other supportive, fulfilling relationships. Don’t feel guilty for looking after your social needs. You need support, too. These relationships will help buoy you in difficult times.

The importance of managing stress

Schizophrenia places an incredible amount of stress on family members. If you’re not careful, it can take over your life and quickly burn you out. And if you’re stressed out and overwhelmed, you will make the person with schizophrenia stressed. That’s why keeping your own stress levels under control is one of the most important things you can do for a family member with schizophrenia.
:black_medium_small_square:Practice acceptance. The “why me?” mindset is destructive. Instead of dwelling on the unfairness or life, accept your feelings (even the negative ones). Your burdens don’t have to define your life unless you obsess about them.
:black_medium_small_square:Seek out joy. Making time for fun isn’t frivolous or indulgent—it’s necessary. It isn’t the people who have the least problems who are the happiest, it’s the people who learn to find joy in life despite adversity.
:black_medium_small_square:Recognize your own limits. Be realistic about the level of support and care you can provide. You can’t do it all, and you won’t be much help to a loved one if you’re run down and emotionally exhausted.
:black_medium_small_square:Avoid blame. In order to cope with schizophrenia in a family member, it’s important to understand that although you can make a positive difference, you aren’t to blame for the illness or responsible for your loved one’s recovery.

2 Likes

Clozapine has the least side efffects for me and it’s also the only med that ever did anything. Also you might want to try some experimental new treatments like l-glycine, d-serine, and sarcosine. I’ve been experimenting with them and d-serine and sarcosine started off having some mild effects and they’ve been building up to the point that I’m seeing some serious results. There are no side effects at all. You can buy them at www.smartpowders.com and there’s another great product called ProFrontral that helped me alot, it combines NAC (N-Acetyl-Cystine) and sarcosine in pill form and you can buy that at profrontal.com .

1 Like

Latuda and Clozaril have been the most effective medications for me over the last 8 years of dealing with schizophrenia.

Clozaril is not as dangerous as it sounds. The effect on white blood cells, known as agranulocytosis, is actually pretty rare. It’s incidence is less than 1% in both short and long term use. The risk does increase with age however, so your 37 year old son might be a greater risk than I am.

Latuda has been a godsend to me. When Clozaril stopped working for me, Latuda really saved me. It stabilized me very quickly and has very few side effects.

I encourage you to discuss the many treatment options with your son’s provider. I Know that you will find something that will help him :slight_smile:

Blessings,

Anthony

4 Likes

Hmm see a psychiatrist. Buspar is non-addictive, non abusable and treats anxiety. Ask about it. My sister takes it and it helps her, shes rather isolated except for her fiance. I take xanax for anxiety and I can even go to clubs and take my shirt off and get wild. No anxiety and i meet people, it improves my quality of life. I make friend at school too.

**I want to thank all of you for your responses! The holistic approach is something we are trying-as far as anti-anxiety is concerned. I will checkout the profrontal, etc…does that interfere with other meds? Was just watching him today at the grocery. It took him a long time and he was whincing-as if he was trying to fight off something. Although he was diagnosed 19 tears ago, I think this is the first time he has experienced his symptoms full-on–with out any street drugs. I am still educating myself because he does not want to see a doctor, or change meds. He has been a tough case for everyone. He is beautiful-and has always tried to be independent, but he always takes the hard way ( or maybe his way ) and it has been hard to watch. He also is leaning towards eastern thought with his spirituality.

ext**

Mortimerou…thank you for your post. After all this time, I am finally “getting it”. I think I have been trying to find a cure for my son all this time!

1 Like

This is very interesting…will do some research

I have tried to get my son to take supplements. Haven’t had much luck but I take them :smile: Once I read the benefits then I figured most of us could use it. Omega 3 and NAC are both very good for you. I use a lot of cilantro/coriander when cooking as it is high in some of the things he may be lacking. Almonds and nuts are good for snacking and high in nutrients. Spinach in salads. Garlic is good. I do try to keep gluten to a minimum as it’s hard for anyone to digest but we do enjoy pizza and bread, I don’t go overboard with it.

1 Like

Clozapine cancels out the Profrontal but other than that it’s just fine, I’ve been on clozapine for years and I’m just now going off of it to try the Profrontal and it’s been working better every day, sometimes it scares me it works so well since I’ve never felt this way before in years.

How does Clozapine cancel out Profrontal? I have never heard of NAC or Sarcosine doing that.

i take clozapine. worked wonders . changed my llife :slight_smile: ive been on it 5 years and very few side effects tho the blood draws are a pain. worth it tho

2 Likes

There are a few websites that document this, one is about halfway down here: http://www.schizophreniaoptions.com/sarcosine/ if you do a seach for sarcosine and clozapine it will come up with a few pages saying clozapine cancels out sarcosine and other NMDA agonists.

It is important to note that no significant benefits were shown when Sarcosine was given to patients taking Clozapine. This consistent with other research on Glycine related treatment options in schizophrenia. Clozapine is a distinct antipsychotic medication previously shown to erase the benefits of glycine treatments. Clozapine may directly affect the glycine site on NMDA receptors, perhaps contributing to clozapine’s renowned efficacy in schizophrenia.

Thank you. Interesting to know.