Best answer to 'do you think people are out to get you'

Health care systems are overrun with legitimately sick people they lack the capacity to care for. They don’t need to create more.

4 Likes

your pdoc is your friend…he cares is why he asks questions…he is trying to help you.

1 Like

If you hadn’t done that they might have written in their notes “unresponsive and unaware of their surroundings”, and they might have prescribed a big dose of med’s for that.

1 Like

I remember one time my pdoc asked me if I had racing thoughts, and I said “are we competing?” like a smart ass. He locked me up for three weeks in the psych ward.

1 Like

Yes, I do believe it most of the time…

I don’t feel people are out to get me , but I do feel people don’t like me. This is normal , but bothers me more during a period of feeling unwell.

2 Likes

When in psychosis, yes. But meds take care of it.

I don’t think all people are meant to get along. That is kind of a nice way to deflect the thought that someone is out to get me.

Nice dad joke right there.

Always good to keep a sense of humor when times get rough, but also helpful to know your audience as well.

2 Likes

That is funny!!! Hahaha!!!

I understand you mean well with your post @jukebox.

Just wanna say though that pdocs are not your friends.

They are medical professionals who earn their living by treating folks with mental illness.

A working relationship is appropriate: honesty, compromise, compassion, and empathy all go a long way in helping you get the most out of your treatment.

Any over-reliance on or emotional attachment to an unattached professional is not a good thing.

2 Likes

@Milly I felt that people not only didn’t like me but actually outright hated me for years and years. And they showed it in their cruel behavior towards me all the time. This caused me untold suffering for many years and was not normal. It ended when my pdoc added Seroquel to my Risperdal, Geodon combination.

1 Like

that’s really funny. What country are you in? I’d be really surprised if that happened in the US.

I had one pdoc that I considered to be my friend. Most of them deliberately provoke a reaction though.

That’s great you felt that comfortable with your provider— it’s important to have a good working relationship, and nothing wrong with exchanging pleasantries and the like.

Some pdocs do care about their patients’ well-being, and learn to establish trust, maintain a humble attitude, and create a mutual positive regard with their patients.

But ultimately, they are paid to listen to symptoms and health concerns, and paid to prescribe— no more, no less.

Anything extra is a bonus.

If you don’t say anything, you get ‘flat affect’ and ‘avolition’ They are going to get you either way. The end goal is to put you in the hospital until your insurance runs out and then you get out and get put on lithium…

It usually doesn’t cause me any issues until I start getting depressed or maybe psychotic. So I can’t work more than part time.

1 Like

Yes. Absolutely right.

When I get dumb questions I don’t like, I say something like “No, do you?”.

-Albert.

If he/she yells that question, you might answer “Not until now!”.

-A.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.