Best answer to 'do you think people are out to get you'

So I have a new eval with a new pdoc next week. The first time I saw a pdoc he yelled ‘do you think people are out to get you’. I freaked and got put on risperdal, which is what he wanted.

Is there a particularly smart aleck response that you give to this question. They all ask it.

2 Likes

I’m just honest about it. Yes. There are some people out there who are out to get me.

3 Likes

Yeah i would just be honest about it. Anytime I tried to deceive my doctor it just made things worse

4 Likes

I wouldn’t do that to a mental health professional. They might write a note in your file - “Hostile and distrusting of others”. It might affect what kind of med’s you have to take.

3 Likes

They already got me.

1 Like

You are probably right…I really hate that question. I try to stay calm but have trouble with it. I am usually tempted to say “YOU” but know not to…

1 Like

You don’t need a smart Alek response. You need a new doctor.

2 Likes

I had no choice in seeing a pdoc, who I saw, or anything else. I thought yelling ‘do you think people are out to get you’ was really mean.

I thought psych movies were pretty fake until that happened. I think they are written by that pdoc’s former patients (slightly kidding)

2 Likes

You wonder why certain people go into human service careers.

2 Likes

You should avoid talking disrespectfully to your doctor. Be open, honest, and polite. This will benefit you in the long run if you earn some respect and need to ask for something.

5 Likes

I know. I’m dreading it though. My previous clinic dropped me when I lost my insurance and so now I had to find someone else. The only thing I know is that its a woman and not a man, so I think that might help me.

I was talking to the person today that made the appointment and was not making much sense and talking kind of fast. No two intakes have ever gone the same, so I don’t know what to expect and I’m getting less and less sleep as we get closer.

I’m worried about showing up at a pdoc’s office after getting very little sleep for a week and not making any sense during the intake.

2 Likes

I think my first pdoc probably thought he was going to get paid to shock people or something.

2 Likes

If someone yells at me, I could sincerely say, “You’re scaring me, Dude.”

3 Likes

they seriously look for reasons to call everyone paranoid so they can put you on meds and adjust them every few months for the rest of your life.

3 Likes

That’s a baked outlook.

@trelos

2 Likes

I agree with @ZmaGal the best answer is just to be as honest as you comfortably can be

3 Likes

It’s true. I’m pretty sure they put me on effexor to make me go manic so they could put me on mood stabilizers for life. They it makes people go manic and say stuff that gets you market as delsuinal .

1 Like

i will be nice 121212

I was on Effexor for a year and change. Didn’t make me manic, just didn’t life the depression as hoped.

effexor made me bounce off the walls for a month including during a medication management session. I felt horrible during withdrawal but my boss thought that I had covid because I was grouchy and so told me to quarantine for two weeks.

I’m convinced that they do it on purpose.