Benzos.. withdrawal and focus?

I have been on Benzos on and off for years, but more consistently the past year at 2mg of Ativan per day.

We’re tappering off over the course of a few months. Will I experience serious withdrawal or will it depend on my chemistry?

Also, were you able to focus and concentrate better after quitting? If so, how long did it take?

I’m doing some upgrading and I’m having a hard time remembering what I’m learning.

I quit benzos cold turkey many times. Did not notice any weird symptoms.
Check what your doctor says.

1 Like

I found them very difficult to quit so I’d say it all down to your chemistry. After a year off them I got a weeks supply from my doctor to help me get over christmas.

My focus and concentration actually improved since I quit them. I can’t remember if they took a nosedive while I was actually withdrawing from benzos initially though.

1 Like

I think it does depend on your chemistry. You may not experience serious withdrawal symptoms. I didn’t so much. What time of day do you take it? That may make a difference. I was on 2 mgs a day and easily got down to .5 mgs. I was taking it all during the day but started taking the last .5 mg at night. The only problem I experienced was that I had a week or two where my sleep was not the greatest. I didn’t get any rebound anxiety or anything, but I am medicated for my anxiety issues with other meds that do really help. Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah titrate down and give yourself time. I came off of xanax quickly and had a gran mal. It can be quite common for withdrawal. As you say, we are all different but I’d be careful and at least hook up with your regular doc!

1 Like

Cut down very slowly. Google “Ashton’s Manual”.

1 Like

When I was taking ativan regularly I did get rebound anxiety from not taking it. The most I’ve ever been rxd is 3 mg per day, but I’ve used more than that and I’ve never had any other withdrawal symptoms. I never noticed Ativan causing problems with concentrating but it effects my memory when I take it. I take 2mg prn and I can’t remember a thing when I’m on it but I’ve been taking it so long 1mg doesn’t work anymore. I’m glad your pdoc is tapering you off now before you get to that point.

1 Like

I had no issues quitting benzos cold turkey after being on 1 mg Ativan nightly for a year. They had no effect on my focus or concentration.

I think it really depends on the person.

1 Like