Benzo withdrawal and insomnia

Sending positive vibes your way in hopes that each little vibe will take the form of a fluffy little sheep jumping over a fence for you to count and drift off to sleep.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I am a zombie even after getting 8 hours because it is so inconsistent.

1 Like

I’ve just now started getting a little more sleep lately. For the past several years I’ve been averaging about 5 hours a night. It hasn’t been that great. So I can imagine how you’ve been suffering. I really hope you can start getting more and more good nights.

1 Like

Thank you! Like I said, I go from zero to 8 to 4 to 2 then back to 7. It’s so unpredictable. It’s hard.

So I got sleep 2 nights in a row for the first time since I started tapering off Xanax. I got 8 hours on Monday night and 7 hours last night (Tuesday). Let’s hope this is the start of a trend.

2 Likes

Good luck! I was put on benzo’s when I started college years ago–I remember when I took xanax once and it nearly knocked me out. Those meds are no joke. I dont think they help enough–because I noticed if I missed a dose I would be more anxious than before. I have been years without taking any benzos and I dont get anxiety attacks anymore.

Yeah, I am hoping that I stop having panic attacks after I get further along in my taper and withdrawal.

The latuda didn’t work satisfactory on sleep. I did get one day with 7 hours, and the day after that reminded me of time before AP’s. My brain has not been more quiet ever since being on AP’s.
But I got two days with zero sleep or rest and had no other option than go back on zyprexa, simply to be able to get some rest.

At first I thought I would never go back to zyprexa, after that 7hours sleep day, but after two days of no sleep I was building up to that it was the only option. So it wasn’t awfully disapointing.

1 Like

I took Clonazapam 2-3 mgs daily for 8 years. I quit it a year ago. I had insomnia at first, strange sensations, etc, etc…now my hands sleep at night and I get brain shocks. However, they also told me at that website that these are a result of benzo withdrawal and should go away with time.

3 Likes

Let me also add the benefits of benzo withdrawal for those who are inclined:

1. Better processing speed.
  2. Better working memory
  3. Better attention span
    4)Ability to socialize increases (I think benzos increase anxiety at the baseline level by decreasing it)
2 Likes

I’ve had 3 crappy nights. I slept 1.5 hours, then 3.5, then 3. I am due for another 8 hour night. I hope I get one tonight. I am also very anxious every morning when I wake up for about 2 hours. I really hope the anxiety goes down over time too. I have baseline anxiety but I hope some of my anxiety is from withdrawal and goes away.

Definitely. My anxiety shot over the roof when I started withdrawal. One year after the withdrawal, I still feel I am much more anxious from the baseline.

My grandma takes a benzo for many years.
She thinks it helps her sleep. But it’s placebo effect,in my opinion

It helps some people sleep. It relaxes the mind supposedly.

Seems like you are doing better. How have you been?

1 Like

Fine. Fine. Rare moments of clarity.
Thank God. You?

1 Like

I am great. Actually, the medications have wiped my symptoms out. Thank God.

In the last a year or so, I have found a way that works for me. I treat myself now. I don’t need psychiatrists. They don’t understand medications well.

Good to know you are feeling better. I am realizing how good life is at the other end, and I am liking it more and more.

1 Like

Life without all these crazy symptoms
is comfortable and easy.
We make it hard.

1 Like

Yes, we don’t realize this when we are well.

We truly appreciate it once we are unwell and then well.

So, you are having vodka regularly?

And are you still on 4 APs?

1 Like

I drink maybe once in a week or less.
I don’t drink much anymore.
I am on 3 APs.

1 Like

Ok, that is better, on three APs and doing well.

I miss having beer and vodka. I used to club in New York while having them along with friends. Good memories.

1 Like