Being treated differently

I’m having a sad moment tonight because it’s just so unfair that being sick makes people treat you differently.

Before I got ill my partner’s mother ■■■■■■■ loved me- was always calling me up, being kind and even standing up for me when my partner was being a dick. Now she barely even speaks to me and I texted her the other day to ask her something and she said ‘just Google it’ in this really dismissive way. I can tell she now just sees me as a burden to her son and is thinking he deserves better. But I’ve not suddenly become some horrible person - I’m still kind and try and look after him and do my best to make a contribution. It’s just so ■■■■ and feels so unfair.

How do you all cope with being disliked for no other reason than having this illness? I just get so intensely sad, it’s hard to move past it and toughen up or whatever.

7 Likes

That’s really tough. I’ve been ignored by people because of this illness.

Some people suck.

3 Likes

I tell people who have a problem with it to eat my shorts and cut them out of my life.

3 Likes

My mother is actually doing a course on SZ. Not sure what to make of it. Maybe she will treat me differently if she understands it more, but the ship sailed a long time ago, so unsure

I think it’s a genuinely nice thing for someone to do

Not once have I had anybody go to that length to try and be more understanding.

She is a good example of kindness

5 Likes

I have a lot of trouble with this. I have had a few relapses, and the difference in how people treat me during one is astounding.

When I am healthy I can’t fully trust people because i already know how their attitudes will shift when I need more help.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.