Being supportive from a distance. How to help my sister who lives on the other side of the country?

My sister also has schizophrenia and OCD.

However, she works full time in a high stress and high profile job,

Also has a ton of friends.

She’s busy all week, all weekend either working or going out on dates and hanging out with her girlfriends.

But, she’s had a major setback.

She saw something disturbing and it triggered her to the core.

For the first time in months she had to take benzos and has been relying on those to get her through.

She’s not doing so great and I don’t know how to help.

I can’t call her all the time.

On top of that being annoying, she’s legit busy.

How can I be supportive in this situation?

2 Likes

Can you check in daily with a text message? She can get to that on her own time so it’s not annoying. I’m sorry but that’s all I can think of.

3 Likes

Hi @Charles_Foster , sorry to hear. It could be just as simple as being there when she needs you though. My sister and I have a setup (she is extremely busy too) where if I am in need (or she is) we can text SOS to each other and whatever is going on in the world gets put down and that phone call becomes priority number 1.

3 Likes

I like the idea of sending a text, maybe every other day. She can respond if she wants to or not, and on her own time.

I would also recommend keeping your phone on all night, with the ringtone volume up, in case she desperately needs to talk to you at a weird hour. A way of being there for her, in case she needs it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.