Being gifted

“Michael Kearney, who I interned with at Microsoft, spoke his first words at four months. At the age of six months, he told his pediatrician, “I have a left ear infection.” He finished high school at age 6 and graduated from college at 10.”

Anyone gifted?

2 Likes

Interesting. Never heard of him. :pig2::pig2::pig2:

1 Like

Intelligence doesn’t guarantee a successful or happy life

1 Like

I’ve always thought that us schizophrenics are really smart and gifted too

1 Like

Nothing in life is guaranteed
Except death and taxes

1 Like

Sounds like a load of bull, similar to the stories of Kim Jong Un walking out of his mother’s uterus after six months.

I wouldn’t call myself gifted, but I have a knack for languages. I’m also quite good with cats.

2 Likes

Most of us are not though.

1 Like

I used to think I had an IQ if 142 (who knows if that’s real or not) and I didn’t find things interesting that other kids generally did. I liked thinking to myself a lot and I felt it was hard to fit in socially. I might have assburgers too, again who knows. I knew people that were clearly smarter than me and they were good socially too.

I guess the question I’m asking is: did or do you feel isolated due to your genius

I’m gifted, but I can be really stupid sometimes. Lol. I was isolated in elementary. In kindergarten my reading was separate from everyone else’s because I was so far ahead. In first grade I went to the 5th grade classroom, in second I went to the eighth grade classroom, and 3rd and on I was on my own. It was lonely. I thought differently than other kids so I was weird. It sucked really. There were no public gifted classes/schools I could go to where I was from so I was just an outsider.

2 Likes

Wow that’s smart. What did you chose as a career?

I was premed until I got pregnant with my daughter. Knowing I wanted to be there for her, I switched to health care administration

2 Likes

I did well at school and went to study at a good university.

But tbh I am happier now living a modest life than I ever was at university

1 Like

My mom told me that I said my first words at 6 months. She also says I taught myself to read. I take this with a grain of salt, since I’ve never seen any video footage. If I had really begun speaking that early, I would expect at least one video. Also, I don’t even think it’s possible to teach yourself to read. I think I am intelligent, but likely not off the charts gifted.

I once had a delusion that I was special needs and my mom had my IQ tested to prove me wrong. I tested high enough to get into Mensa. The doctors in the hospital told my parents that it was rare for someone with my intelligence to get sz. Lucky me I guess.

2 Likes

This just fed my delusion though because a lot of people with autism have high IQs

When I was a child I came out in the local newspaper as a child prodigy because I was able to read, knew (basic) math and astronomy at 3 years old in both English and Spanish. I remember I loved reading books about astronomy, dinosaurs, and sharks especially as well as wildlife. Many people in my community thought I had a bright future. I was tested for my IQ at about 12 and I scored on a genius level. I too was qualified for MENSA but I chose not to join. I don’t really like to mention it because I feel so much dumber now after the meds.

I’ve read people who have schizophrenia of higher IQ are more prone to suicide. I could see why as I feel like a waste of potential. Intelligence is overrated anyway. I’ve always felt that it is more important to be kind than intelligent.

Anyway, I haven’t taken an IQ test in awhile and am sure I would score lower now. After years of pot smoking and taking meds I feel a lot slower. With google around I certainly feel less intelligent hah. Anytime someone wants to learn something google is there. And hell even though I studied astronomy I can’t even remember the order of the planets from closest to furthest from the Sun. Before I knew that for sure, guess I can always google it.

3 Likes

I thought I was gifted as did one of my therapists. My IQ is probably no higher than 120. I don’t think I’m gifted anymore. Genius is different from being gifted. There are a ton of gifted people out there. Doesn’t make you special.

My therapist told me about a 2 year old who got a PhD but I’m not sure I believe it.

Yeah I agree wiith you. That sounds made up (no offense).

1 Like

I taught myself to read some time during my 3rd year .

2 Likes

A 2 year old with a phd? :joy::joy::joy: Come on dude, that’s clearly a lie. 2 year olds can’t even speak.