Been sober for more than 2 months

I gave up drinking anything but light beer(2,5%) and it seems to have a very positive impact on my life. Especially since the meds interact with alcohol. I am feeling a lot more clear in my head, and I don’t miss drinking at all.

16 Likes

Good job. I’ve been sober for over 8 months now.

2 Likes

Sweet. Congrats.

I haven’t had a drink in over 4 years.

I f hate alcohol

2 Likes

Fantastic! Very proud of you.

2 Likes

That’s so great to hear. Keep pushing through, I’m glad you can take a step back and see how much more positive life can be sober. You got this!

2 Likes

Congratulations :slight_smile: :slight_smile: likewise to those others on this thread who’ve quit. I personally quit in 2016 after my dx

1 Like

Might be surprising to note that even orange juice has around 2% alcohol, from yeasts fermenting sugars in it.

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Well done. It’s never easy to give up things like alcohol but it’s worth doing for your health.

1 Like

Congrats! It is worth it to be sober. 4 and 1/2 years for me. It gets better and better.

1 Like

Great job. Be proud of yourself.

1 Like

You’re not sober, you just cut back. You’ll probably end up drinking too much again, if you’re an alcoholic. If so, you need to get a closer look and be Honest. I’ve been clean and sober for real for 8 months, not even on those delicious sleep inducing medicines. And I am compliant with my prescriber. I talk to her tomorrow!

1 Like

Non-alcoholic beer doesn’t make you drunk. It’s just for taste. Negligible amount of alcohol in it.

1 Like

I still drink beer - but its heineken 0% bottles. For me you dont look such a wally in the pub then - constantly drinking orange juice. And i get to keep a bit of a social life.

Well done on being sober. Im only just over a month, maybe less.

1 Like

I tried drinking 2 tiny vodka bottles with oj and made me sick. I can’t drink alcohol anymore. Just wine spritzers once in a while.

1 Like

I’m not a alcoholic. I used to put away 12 pints of beer in a week, however I like the taste of beer so I keep drinking some low percentage beers, but I hardly feel anything from drinking them. So I consider myself sober.

Everyone’s definition of sober is different.

When I was quitting a few years ago the feeling was: ‘Are you a problem drinker?’

The term alcoholic has become overplayed IMO. Though I will describe myself as an alcoholic If I feel like I’m being pressured to drink. Usually people F off If it comes to that point.

1 Like

Well, with this new relationship to alcohol my head doesen’t get foggy and I’m not feeling alcohol-drug interaction which I did when I drank regular beers. So although I’m not completely off alcohol there has been a huge profit with having a minimal approach.

For me the term alcoholic means that you are addicted to alcohol and have trouble giving it up. I have never felt like I must have alcohol, it’s just I really enjoy the taste of beer, and the hops in beer calms down the nervous system. I also drink 0% beers, but I find that those with a minimal amount of alcohol tastes more like the way beer is supposed to. I don’t feel like I have to drink it in any way though.

I feel like I have freed myself and come to a better plane of existence.

1 Like

Only you can know if your an alcoholic. If its interfering with your finances and relationships then you would have a problem.

Personally i dont think you are. Im assuming you dont get the physical shakes if you dont have one.

That said - Its always a good idea to quit - cos alot of our meds dont like it - and it affects the efficacy of them all.

My CPN told me that a good 90% of schizophrenics he’s dealt with - have used beer in the past to cope with the positives. So it is quite common.

1 Like

Yes, that is exactly what it is. Sometimes in the past my symptoms from the drugs have been so bad that I wanted beer because it takes away the worst of those symptoms for a little while. The only problem is that you get the drug interaction with alcohol, and also drinking a lot is bad in itself.

1 Like