why did your gp do that?

1 Like

Borderline is not worse

5 Likes

For the psychiatrist it is worse indeedā€¦ :smile:

3 Likes

Weirdā€¦ 15151515

1 Like

A gp just isnā€™t qualified to make a psychiatric diagnosis. Only a psychiatrist is. I had a doctor who didnā€™t like me personally diagnose me with borderline, which was laughable because one of the hallmarks is difficulty maintaining personal relationships. But he thought I was a problem patient, so he slapped me with the most stigmatized diagnosis he could think of.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with borderline, and her OBGYN figured out her problems were primarily caused by a hormonal issue. An extra-strong birth control cleared up most of her symptoms.

Many unqualified doctors like to slap the borderline label on people, because it effectively makes the person not their problem anymore. I disagree with personality disorder diagnoses in general, because so many doctors like to say, ā€œoh, itā€™s just a personality disorder. Just try harder not to do that,ā€ and end their work there. When, in reality, most personality disorders are actually side effects of experiencing trauma or hormonal imbalances or totally different disorders.

Donā€™t get me wrong. Proper behavioral therapy can be great, regardless of diagnosis. But too many doctors prescribe it alone to lighten their workload, because then itā€™s just the counselorā€™s problem.

9 Likes

Wow, apparently I had a lot to say on the matter.

4 Likes

That was really well put ninja. I totally get your points.

4 Likes

He thought that I would be a danger to myself.

1 Like

Well, it was a psychiatrist who changed my dx. My GP was just the one who called it in.

what were your symptoms?

1 Like

But was it a psychiatrist who has been working with you over time and seen you at high and low points, or was it a hassled hospital psychiatrist who spent fifteen minutes with you on one of your worst days and then moved on to the other 200 patients in the ward?

4 Likes

Being diagnosed with BPD is far worse than being diagnosed with SZ/SZA especially when you want treatment from the NHS.

1 Like

Negatives, plus a lot of paranoia and some hallucinations. Nothing I havenā€™t dealt with already

Oh itā€™s that one for sure

1 Like

Did they change it from SZ/SZA to BPD and have they gave you any reason why they changed it?

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s definitely the impression Iā€™ve gotten

Yes, they did. But no, they didnā€™t give a reason.

I was definitely ask why they changed it and the reasons behind it. Are you on a CTO? I guess the AMMP didnā€™t have reason to section you if you were realised from the hospital. Was was the grounds for the AMMP assessment?

1 Like

A GP is not qualified to treat and diagnose MI.
Go see a qualified psychiatrist.

3 Likes

I know :pensive: They donā€™t exist in this town tho. Gonna have to uproot my life for this :confused:

1 Like