Back after winter from hell

I probably won’t be posting as frequently as I had been, but I figured I’d just say “I’m back”. I sort of fell off the face of the earth at the beginning of this past winter during which I experienced a three month psychotic break with seemingly no let up. It was a living hell, day and night, so seemingly real I couldn’t convince myself that it wasn’t.
I had to check into the hospital twice for about a week each time. I can’t even begin to recount the entire episode but I’ll just say it all started with reading the newspaper in the morning and believing I was communicating the news stories back to myself in my mid 20’s and making predictions at that time. Then the “voices” started, I at first became convinced that the world’s people were playing host to a parasitic army of spirits escaped from hell.
It was three months of delusions, voices, even some tactile hallucinations, it was terrifying, it broke me, but I am steadily recovering. I am recovering now to the point that I am no longer in the grips of the delusions and I am as of recently going days at a time without even thinking about the voices or what I went through last winter.
But I can’t say I’m not traumatized by this experience, I am, very much so. It was the scariest psychotic break I’ve ever experienced. I’m on meds (perphenazine) as well as a few other non-antipsychotics, and am recovering fairly well.

Just wanted to say I’m back and, well, apologize for any possibly strange posts leading up to this past winter as I wasn’t exactly leading a healthy lifestyle or thinking quite right back then either. But I hope to change that.

2 Likes

You recovered! Good for you! You’re not the only one who went through hell this winter, but I wasn’t sick. Hope not too much snow fell where you live, because that would have made things worse.

There has been quite a bit of talk here lately about how psychotic episodes are traumatic experiences in and of themselves and can perhaps be a cause of PTSD. I wish you well in coming out of this.

2 Likes

Welcome back - glad you are feeling better

2 Likes

Welcome back. Glad you are feeling better.

2 Likes

I want to follow your saga.

Jayster

1 Like

@mussel!!
Wondered where you were!
I am so sorry you went through that. Very happy you are back.
Are you going to the Clubhouse?
Much love to you OO

2 Likes

I’m glad you made it to hospital and are getting back on track.

I agree… episodes are scary and they coming out of them is very disorienting and makes it harder to get back to level.

I am glad your feeling better. I’m sorry you hit a relapse.

Good luck. I’m rooting for you.

2 Likes