Baaaad news my bird died

I was delusional and voices kept telling me that my pet bird was attacking me. I hit him with my jacket and he died. I hit him like three or four times prior to this time. It is really sad because I know he was down because of the way I treated him so he had a bad time at the end of his life. Now I’m not delusional anymore and I know he wasn’t attacking me. I’m so sad right now. Has anybody else had similar experiences with their pets.

i LOVE my dog and would never hit her, i don’t care how sick i was. I’m a big pet lover though and animal rights person. I know you didn’t mean to do it and you were sick at the time but it might not be a good idea to get anymore pets??? Either that or maybe what you could do is have a plan in place if you get sick have someone else take care of the animal when you know you aren’t well. My grandmother grew up on a farm and she as a little girl once threw a baby lamb in anger. The lamb broke it’s leg and they had to put it down. She felt guilty about that the rest of her life.

I’ve never been violent to my cats. When I got really ill I was about to beat my son with a hockey stick. I beat the wardrobe instead and ran away from home.

I cut up my hand when I was 16, by putting it through a window when I was getting so very angry at my younger brother. I’ve never had a pet. I like animals very much, but the sis and I are never home enough to properly take care of a pet.

Still feeling sad, this sucks. I buried Mr. Dude(my bird) beside my patio. I keep saying to myself “I can’t believe this has happened”. He was a 19 year old cockatiel. He could whistle like when you whistle at a girl and he could sing the Andy Griffin song. I’m going to miss him. He would walk on top of me when I laid down on my bed. He kept me company,

I am so sorry this happened to you both. Loosing a pet/family member I can imagine is a very hard thing to go through. I hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

[quote=“Jake, post:1, topic:477”]
Has anybody else had similar experiences with their pets.
[/quote]No.

Even if there is a fly in my apartment, I catch it and set it free outside. The same applies to spiders.

I could never hurt an animal either.

we all know the difference between bad and good, we just have to be strong enough to not hurt the innocent, be they human, animal or insect.
let this feeling of guilt be a lesson that you learn from, so it never happens again.
we are all ill to a certain extent but we are not monsters,it was not your intent to harm it or kill him.
i have, i am ashamed to say, when driving and psychotic run over some pigeons when i was much younger and to this day i feel so guilty , it is etched into my head.
no one has the right to take the life of anything.
take care

I think that when one is in a psychosis, one does not consider oneself to be life and then tends to not think anyone else is. So, when you struck your bird, you did not realize who he was. Feeling guilty for awhile is ok but one has to realize that life renews itself and your pet will be back somewhere, someday.

1 Like

Don’t blame yourself too much, you were not well.
I love animals, I adopted a shelter dog recently, he is my best friend right now.
Please reconsider getting a pet right now. Get better then think about another pet.
I know the feeling of losing a close pet, it stings. Feel better soon.