Schizophrenia.com

Automated phone systems - Handy or annoying?

I just called my pharmacy to cancel an auto refill of acid reflux pills and it took me like 10 minutes of talking to their “virtual receptionist” and punching in buttons just to get to wait on hold for another 10 mins to talk to the pharmacy. All I wanted to do was cancel a prescription they had filled. Once I actually got to talk to a person it took less than a minute to get it done.

Call me old fashioned, but I liked it back in the good old days when PEOPLE actually answered the phone.

9 Likes

Yeah I am the same way

3 Likes

There coming out with better automated ones that are voice activate mostly. One day you won’t be able to tell the difference

2 Likes

Those systems are there because
1: it helps collect information that really helps the human service rep to look you up in their database and see what you need.

2: To lessen the error margin. Punching in your social number means less of a chance they mishear you, and less time spent on repeating and confirming

3: security reasons. Lots of companies record their calls. Due to gdpr, there are informations they are not allowed to record, like social number and credit card info. Using an automated “person” means they can collect the info into their database without it getting in the wrong hands.

4: pardon my phrasing, moron deterrent.
Lots of people call customer support lines they really did not need to call if they spent 20 seconds reading something online, or used two braincells. Automated voice systems are sometimes used to guide the callers to the right resources, without increasing the wait times for people who really do need to be calling.

3 Likes

The main problem is that they list like 3000 options that you have to choose from in each menu, then this takes you to the next menu with another 3000 options and on and on, plus they have to give you the mandatory covid spiel as well, when if you just talked to a person you could tell them exactly what you wanted in about 10 seconds.

4 Likes

The pharmacy automated line is annoying as hell. Last night I spent five minutes listening to the details of covid.

When I worked at the call center people would punch in their wrong account numbers and then people like me got their ass chewed because they got their phones hotlined due to non payment. Dumbasses. It’s not hard to push the correct button.

4 Likes

Phone automation is a tool of the Devil.

5 Likes

I was thinking of making a disagree bot. It will just disagree and challenge everything someone says.

So the frustration :star_struck:

3 Likes

Great, I’m being replaced by technology.

3 Likes

I’ll add some dials for it like

Turn up or down

Confrontation
Enthusiasm
Temperature

1 Like

Ha ha slowly but surely we will all just be twiddling our thumbs

1 Like

Hmm I’ll make one of my projects two bots that have a conversation with each other. One will disagree if everything and the other will agree with everything

I don’t know why useless ideas are so fascinating lol

1 Like

I’m fine with the simple automated greetings that just give you 3 options, and then you get connected to an actual human!

The overly complicated ones that have a billion options, then a billion more, then a thousand more, then they ask you to SAY what you need, but the automated system doesn’t understand what you asked for, so then you’re just yelling at the automated system “TALK TO REPRESENTATIVE!!!”… and then it FINALLY connects you to someone. Ugh…

Just keep it simple, FFS.

3 Likes

I hate spending 20 minutes going thru an automated system then finally getting someone who can’t speak English.

1 Like

Yeah, nothing is more frustrating then getting caught in the same endless loop with on an automated system that won’t answer a simple question and makes you go in circles. My pharmacy used to be a lot worse than it is now. The system guided me to the same recording and promised a live person and I just kept getting the same recording. And the mailbox was always full so I couldn’t leave a message to call me. They’re a little bit better now.

3 Likes

I bet you do a good job at your company. Congrats btw on being employed :tada:

2 Likes

Sometimes you can press 0 to talk to a representative.

I can’t stand it at all! Drives me nuts

1 Like

My mental health clinic is like that - you will hear a spiel for 5 minutes until they connect you. Thats until i learnt just to hit 2 for my region, and you get thru quicker.

1 Like