Association between schizophrenia and urinary incontinence: A population-based study

Highlights

•Urinary incontinence (UI) in the schizophrenia group was 1.78-fold higher.
•Male patients with schizophrenia were more susceptible to UI.
•A higher risk of UI was observed among younger patients with schizophrenia.

AbstractBackground

Urinary incontinence (UI) is defined as the involuntary loss of urine and can constitute a hygiene or social problem for affected patients. Whether the UI incidence is higher in patients with schizophrenia than in the general population remains undetermined.
Methods

The patients were selected from the Taiwan National Health Insurance Research Database, using claims data from 2005 to 2011. We compared the risk of UI between schizophrenia and nonschizophrenia groups. Logistic regression models were employed for analyzing the risk of UI after adjustment for sex, age, and comorbidities.
Results

The adjusted odds ratio for UI in the schizophrenia group was 1.78-fold higher than that in the nonschizophrenia group. Furthermore, male patients with schizophrenia were more susceptible to UI than their female counterparts, and a higher risk of UI was observed among younger patients with schizophrenia.
Conclusion

Compared with the general population, the risk of UI was higher among the patients with schizophrenia. Early diagnosis and intervention can increase the quality of life among patients with schizophrenia.

http://www.psy-journal.com/article/S0165-1781(16)31397-X/abstract
http://sci-hub.cc/10.1016/j.psychres.2016.12.012:

1 Like

Maybe it’s because our medicines make us thirsty and we drink more liquids, so we have more to get rid of.

Well, I imagine they corrected for that possibility but I’m not into reading scientific abstracts so I’ll never know.

early diagnosis and intervention can improve the quality of life for those …blah blah blah. The UI comes from the meds that i think damage the urinary tract.
Maybe if the meds weren’t a toxic poison we wouldn’t have these issues

1 Like

I’ve been locked outside a building and I pissed myself before and I think I’ve had nightmares in which I pissed the sheets and had to wash them. That or I was just THAT drunk. Either way it’s a really embarrassing thing to have happen to you.

1 Like