Schizophrenia.com

As a schizophrenic do you feel you have a right to defend yourself?

Sometimes I feel I don’t. And not just as a schizophrenic, I feel as a person I don’t have that right. I mean I’m liable to defend myself, I do it a lot, but sometimes I feel it’s a losing battle.

1 Like

I feel I have every right to defend myself.

1 Like

There are times when I feel like I should defend myself. It is weird but its because I think that I love my life and I don’t want to loose it.

1 Like

I walk away from all conflict, be it someone trying to financially abuse me, take the piss cos ive got an MI , or just being plain nasty.

But i do have my limits. God help you if you push me too far tho, cos im liable to visit the kitchen drawer where the knives are - and ruddy well come for you.

1 Like

Fight fire with water.

3 Likes

■■■■ yeah you have that right. It is God-given.

But when it feels like every ■■■■■■■ joe blow is living rent free in your head, I know how tempting adopting the temperament of a doormat is. But ■■■■ them! It is your mind and your body. Not theirs!

I know there is a way of liberating yourself from their ■■■■■■■■. To feel like you once did. It is just brain damage after all, not a death sentence.

1 Like

Keep in mind our younger members peeps. Try and avoid the swearing and violence isn’t tolerated. Keep the peace…

1 Like

Its pretty hard to do though when there is a fist flying at you. Sometimes you have to defend yourself otherwise you will just get hurt. Who knows the guy could even kill you. I never start fights but if someone attacks me I will go for them, for my safety.

2 Likes

Yeah but don’t go overboard

2 Likes

Of course. I have a right to defend myself, to make people know that I’m not dangerous, that I’m not a bad person.

2 Likes

Well as a schizophrenic one could have trouble defending themselves because their brain is so dammaged.

1 Like

When I was younger I did not fight back until things got really really bad.

I am not violent, but have seen and been exposed to a lot of violence growing up at school and outside school.

Being an adult is great in the sense that you’re not required to go somewhere where no one likes or respects you as a human being.

I wish I was home schooled, as I would not have had the need to even think about defending myself from all these people who were just plain nasty.

Now I have no reason to defend myself, as I choose not to put myself in situations that could end up in violence or conflict

2 Likes

I think the issue comes when paranoia means you aren’t always the best judge of when you actually need defending. A lot of the people in the hospital I met during my clinical were sz who had come from jail for assaulting people, but it was not random violence it was out of “self defense” on their part. They were highly paranoid and freaking out and someone would ask them to leave the area or otherwise appear threatening to them and they’d lash out to protect themselves.

1 Like

I’m roughly the size of an actor that works out but isn’t huge and doesn’t abuse PED’s.

If somebody wants to mess with me, it’s probably going to be some passive agressive schiznit because they have a screw loose.

Mostly all I can do is go away. I don’t like bars or drinking.

1 Like

Bigger guys get started on more is what I have found. Like I have a friend who is quite well built, and if you go out to a club with him, there is always random people that start on him. Hes a really nice guy, it is not like he is starting anything. I think some people just like the challenge.

1 Like

You may be right. It’s probably a good thing I stay away from bars and clubs.

I think it’s an hour or more drive from here to any big time clubs.

The most dangerous place I go to is probably Wal Mart lol

I’m staying home when Black Friday rolls around.

1 Like

I even go to Wally World early to avoid 2 pm rush when the crazy people come out.

Some people in Walmart will just stand around and block the way through an aisle.

I’m thinking-is this some sort of hang out for you and not a place to buy food and sundries?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.