Article on First Impressions for Sz/normals

So, I found this article on first impressions in group settings across sz and normals. Apparently, normals pick up on subtle nonverbal cues or something like that, and make rash personality judgments in 30 seconds, after which sz will be "sidelined in the conversation."
The scientists fitted the sz with body sensors and stuck them in a room with unwitting normals, not telling anybody about their status as sz’s. They found that after 30 seconds in a group, the group of normals began to treat the sz’s differently and in a negative way.

From the article:

Co-author Professor Rose McCabe, from the University of Exeter Medical School, concluded: “The research could be critical in supporting patients with schizophrenia because we know that those who have good interpersonal relationships have much better health outcomes, and it will help us take the next steps toward improving outcomes and reducing social exclusion.”

http://www.schizophrenic.com/articles/schizophrenia/schizophrenics-have-30-seconds-make-impression-study-finds

Thoughts?

7 Likes

From the little I know about autism, you might say schizophrenics suffer from autism. I am very standoffish with other people. I like to observe reactions, mine and those of the other people. I don’t like to commit with speech. Maybe I’m alogical. I can see immediately that I’m not on the same page as normies. They seem to be talking to each other whereas I am left out of the conversation-exactly what you are saying about this article. It’s gotten to the point where I have given up trying to relate to normal people. It’s difficult and usually not worth the effort. I like my own thinking and am quite happy to be left alone with it. Now that I am 74, I am REALLY alone.

5 Likes

@HQuinn A link to the full text of the research article can be found via co-author Professor Rose McCabe’s publication list on the University of Exeter Medical School website.
Participation during First Social Encounters in Schizophrenia

3 Likes

You can come to this forum, martin. I feel very good when I read and post at this forum.

2 Likes

wow! thanks so much! I was wanting to read the whole article!!

I walk up to the counter at Jack-in-the -Box with my step-dad. The girl talks to him normally. She than turns to be and without me saying a word she disrespects me and treats me totally different and badly.

1 Like

It would be interesting to see, I think, whether schizophrenics among themselves do any better. Again, without disclosing diagnosis or related experiences in the conversation ofcourse. It could be thought that they will be more attuned to each other for recognizing these similar nonverbal cues or the lack thereof in the other. Or would they look for the same cues as normals do, and sense something might ‘off’ in the other? I would expect, perhaps sadly, the latter.

2 Likes

I think it is nature of human being and the society. Humans will exclude the persons who are different. But how they know who are sz patients? Maybe human can feel whose gene is different.

I went out yesterday with my family. I was enjoying myself immensely. Someone showed up to whom I defer and I left in a hurry. There I was, right back into being alone with my world again.

I’m uncomfortable around normies

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

It suggests to me that (a) non verbal communication is an important factor in social interaction (b) that people with sz can be impaired in this area.

2 Likes

Is it just a flat effect problem then?

I used to be really really bad socially…I made it my goal for so long to become more skilled socially, I’ve worked hard at it. Now I’m pretty good at socializing. Still normies prejudice me. This young waitress the other night kept calling me Hun and I was older than her…I felt disrespected in other ways too.

Once I took my mom out to dinner and I paid and the waitres handed the check to my mom even tho I was paying and then thanked her and not me…I felt insulted, but that was probably more ageist than anything .

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

I always look to religious nutters wearing dresses for guidance.

1 Like

I’ve compared myself to “that chicken” many times. Nature can be cruel, and chickens no less. In a flock, chickens will peck to death any member that is different. They know when something is wrong and they take it out of the gene pool. It’s nothing personal. It’s nature’s way. But it hurts my feelings all the same.