Are you for or against this campaign to change the name schizophrenia to "salience syndrome"

I said it before, and Im going to say it again - the term SCHIZOPHRENIA has become a stigmatizing label.
Watch any one of those detective crime fighting shows on TV, most likely the suspect who did all of the premeditating murders ended up on the show to have the schizophrenia label. Never or rarely does a tv show, present us in a realistic positive light. I am so sick of this ■■■■. We are more than the news media headlines - If a schizophrenic has done something illegal or violent, its because the system failed us usually.
The term schizophrenia means split mind - which in turn adds up to medical nonsense.
I dont like the term salience syndrome either, I think its another scary sounding name which probably means crap as well, I dont know havent thought about it enough. If the name is changed, it probably wont terminate the stigma completely, but could help lessen the stigma, maybe even over time. But just like manic depression was changed over to bipolar, the time is long over due for a name change for the schizophrenia label.

2 Likes

I guess I didn’t have many preconceived ideas of what schizophrenia was before my son was diagnosed. When I read the description it clearly stated that it was not to be confused with DID (Dissociative Identify Disorder) formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder. That it was a splitting of mental functions. Wikipedia’s definition. “a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by a deficit of typical emotional response…” I consider it to be a breakdown between thought and emotions. Less grey and white matter may support this theory.

Just a little while ago I saw DID be referred to as a form of hysteria. I shook my head and asked where they came up with that idea from that it was inaccurate in my opinion and that DID was not a form of hysteria. It seems we have a long way to go in educating what the words actually mean for a lot of mental illnesses not just schizophrenia. Bi-polar does not mean that someone is constantly swinging back and forth between manic highs and lows. Yet that is what most people think.

I have no opinion on what the name should be as what it means to each person is different as the experience is different. Whatever it is called will not change my day to day life with my son. Except maybe to give me a new word to learn how to spell :smile:

3 Likes

Yes - bipolar which I have as well, the term doesn’t mean much either. Bipolar is a complex illness that is more than mood instability within two poles - mania and depression. My thinking is if you are going to be stuck with a medical label all of your life, at least have it make some sense. Split Mind is stigmatizing in itself - schizophrenia is not DID

I think changing attitudes is more important than a cosmetic changing of name.

4 Likes

Changing attitudes is extremely important - top on the list. But the name or labeling does count, especially if negativity and false ideals were connected to that name. The term schizophrenia has become a word to describe negativity, criminality, personality disorder, everything false and untrue about this complex brain disorder.
You can thank the media, the movie and television industry for pumping out false ideas and dark stereotypes on the illness. Schizophrenia has become the substitute word for sociopath - according to Hollywood and the media.
The masses and general public believe what they see on tv and in the movies. We are an entertainment filled society.
People get their news from comedians these days. I agree changing attitudes is important, and if we are going to do this, lets make sure the term actually means something. Split mind sends the wrong message to us,those afflicted, forget about the non SZ public for a second.
The term schizophrenia stirs up negative fear filled emotion in people, yes its out of ignorance, but the media loves to send out ignorant messages about SZ. The day I told my brother about my disorder, I used the term schizophrenia in my sentence, as soon as I said that word - nothing has been the same between us since.My rant is finally over - wow

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with you on many counts.

I just don’t think that things will change with a new name. Actually, I think it might be worse. For many years now there has been a concerted effort to remove stigma from the word schizophrenia. If the name was changed I think most of that work would be lost. It would just be a new dangerous illness in the minds of the public and the media.

The name change over from manic depression to bipolar has improved things for this segment of the population, and I am pretty sure that the name change in Japan has improved things

I’m not very familiar with the Japanese change so I can’t argue there. As for bipolar, it has become trendy since the name change so maybe you’ve got a point.

1 Like

I could only imagine the name change “Integrated Disorder” would be worse, it would basically make the impression on people that we have difficulties integrating into society. Trust me, that would work against you in life, whether it be the workplace or meeting people generally.

1 Like

The term “schizophrenia” is a stigma encouraged by Hollywood but it’s because they use the term to describe people with multiple personalities. I guess the term sounds better in a script than the actual terms.

1 Like

Maybe what we need is a hook. Bipolar has that whole creativity thing going for it. You know, the common belief that bipolar people are more creative and artistic than everyone else. It has become trendy and I think that’s one of the reasons why.

What could our hook be?

I’d add. That the term “salience” could really downplay the disorder too. It may help in terms of stigma but may also reduce the level of help people with SZ get. It’s not an accurate term to use in my opinion.

i like the integration disorder name for my illness.but,on the other hand,the schizophrenia label scares and appales people,which conforts me because they usually leave me be

I personally do not give a ■■■■, call this disease whatever, I still have it and always will. But for the sake of people’s lives, it should be changed. Too many people get depressed or even commit suicide upon being diagnosed due to the stigma attached to the word “schizophrenia”, so for the good of us patients, it should be changed, that and another premise; Schizophrenia means “split mind” in German, and too many ignorant people think it means split personality disorder, which is completely incorrect, just wrong.

It is more like a syndrome. It is a lifelong condition and primarily a thought disorder, even though it includes hallucinations, which are often overemphasized in the media and even romanticized. I have seen TV shows with schizophrenic characters who have imaginary friends. Bitch please, if we all just had seemingly real imaginary friends, then why would 10% of us commit suicide within a decade of being diagnosed?! No, this disease is characterized by delusions, disorganized, often racing thoughts, unpleasant and incessant auditory hallucinations, tactile hallucinations, more rarely visual, olfactory or gustatory hallucinations too. We have trouble finding motivation to even keep personal hygiene sometimes, and many of us have cognitive impairments and impoverished mental processing skills, lowering one’s IQ significantly.

I am for it, but only for stigma related reasons. It is us patients who often hold stigma ourselves and therefore become horribly depressed and suicidal upon diagnosis.

And by the way, Schizophrenia is cacophonous, it has sharp consonants and sounds like a curse word. I have heard “Schizo” used as an insult, and what do you know, like the F word or ■■■■, it has a sharp consonant and is therefore cacophonous and therefore is often used as an insult.

4 Likes

Bravo mortimermouse - Well put, I am in total agreement :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t know which one is good.
Anyway it should change to a soft word.
Give us more example.

The good thing is we all still have a choice whether to be identified by our diagnosis or not. I have toyed with it over the years and decided that it doesn’t really define a person.

Oh wow, Phil Donahue talk show, I used to watch that, he was real good at educating us. Wonder what ever happened to him?

Jeez, I just look up the definition of salience.
Wouldn’t that only cover the positive symptoms?

Im not sure about changing the name. Mortimermouse made a great post. Salience syndrome - its a crap name. I get the stigma point - but the relief from the sterotypisation will be fleeting if at all.

Like some of the other posters - I agree that SZ seems to be a bunch of possibly different diseases all rolled into one. Man - I dunno. I just dont see the PR job doing any good.