Are you "burnt out" because of your mental illness or did you develop your MI because you were "burnt out."

I have noticed that a lot of people struggling with MI, depression, PTSD or SZ have a lot of fatigue, low energy, and subsequent struggles keeping up a normal living.

I wonder what comes first. If you are burnt out, which I am partly, it’s a very natural reaction to get depressed or get some other MI.

Or the other way around: It’s tough living with a MI - i don’t have to mention why in this forum - and this could cause a feeling of being “burnt out.”

2 Likes

Burnt out because of mental illness I think. Not the other way around. It’s pretty common to have lack of motivation with sz. Lack of motivation does not cause sz.

3 Likes

Definitely burnt out from the illness…

I had tons of energy and life left in me before the illness

3 Likes

Both. I have cognitive impairment because of burnout.

1 Like

I don’t feel very profound at all.

I think the same as you @Human @Bowens but i think it’s interesting what @Jinx says. The feeling of burnt outness can cause cognitive impairment, i always push myself hard to find some stimuli out there so i can reduce the cognitive impairment, but pushing myself too hard can cause fatigue and so on.

You have to adjust to your inner level of energy when it’s decreased.

2 Likes

Definitely burnt out because of the illness.

3 Likes

When I started really having mh symptoms at 14-15 i definitely wasn’t burnt out. My energy even peaked at around 18

1 Like

I had Social Phobia, Schizoid Personality Disorder, and ADHD before I got burnt out, but these disorders did not provoke the burnout. The burnout slowly transitioned into a more “typical” depression, involving depressive emotions and not just fatigue and cognitive impairment. Anyway, note that burnout is considered a type of depression.

-Albert.

1 Like

Burnt out bcz of mi.

1 Like

I developed fibromyalgia symptoms around the same time as my MI symptoms began. It was just after losing someone I was very close to, and shortly before I was first abused. I couldn’t say which triggered which, but the combination of it all has been a downward spiral.

1 Like

I go through stages of burnout from mental illness. I recover, go for a while,recover some more, go for a while again.

Its really not a linear process

1 Like

definitely burnt out from mi

1 Like

Both to be honest

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.