Are you all high functioning schizophrenics?

One of the first things my pdoc said when he diagnosed me was that I was a high functioning schizophrenic. exact words.

Most of my illness is in the rear view mirror. I just deal with voices now.

On the family forum most of the people referenced seem low functioning. On the patient forum they seem high functioning.

Personally I’ve seen several homeless people out here in Oakland that are constantly babbling or shouting which makes me think of schizophrenia.

2 Likes

My best friend and my husband both say they could tell something was wrong with me as soon as they met me. I’m not able to leave the house on my own or manage my own money. But I am able to have some friends that come to my house to visit, I can clean, I bathe, and I can participate in this forum. I am a combo of functioning well and not at all functioning well

1 Like

I have seen that too.

1 Like

Some days I am, other days I’m very low functioning. Echoing what has been said before it’s a false dichotomy

1 Like

I think Im neither. I don’t work and never have and I have no intention to. So I dont think Im high functioning. But I also am not as lost as some schizophrenics and I can read social queues etc most of the time.

1 Like

i’m not high functioning. I need help with almost everything. Without my mum and dad i would be a mess.

1 Like

Well, I’m forced to be high functioning as I have to live on my own now. My mom went to the nursing home in 2010 and died 2018. My only living family is my sister whose married and has to kids. She isn’t going to take me in or help much.

2 Likes

With meds I’m okay ish

1 Like

I live in an assisted living center for the mentally ill. I think I am high functioning among the group I am in, but sometimes I wonder. I have managed to seem peculiar even among the dysfunctional group I am with. It is an OCD type of thing.

I look at that list and laugh about the times I did all those things. Except smear feces.

This is an interesting thread to me. I have often been puzzled by how aware some are of their unusual beliefs here. Maybe I’m dumb but i just don’t get it. My experience was vastly different.

I have a job, but struggling to cross roads lately because number plates distract me, so I rush to look away from traffic. The hi/lo functionality thing must fluctuate vastly.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.