Are you a tree hugger?

I don’t want to hug any trees, but I love to look at them. I especially want to see the giant redwoods in the Pacific Northwest before I die. Where I live there are a lot of trees growing in land that isn’t being used. I think that in some parts it could be considered a wilderness area. I was doing gopher work for this guy, and we went driving on some of the backroads. We’d go for miles and miles before we’d see a house… Some guy is harvesting trees for lumber on this land. We can see his lumber mill when we go to this town. It hurts to see that, because I want us to preserve as much wilderness as we can. But I’d rather have him cutting trees down around here than cutting down the giant redwoods.

1 Like

Trees are renewable.

Yeah, I forgot about that.

I chained myself to a tree one time when they were going to cut them down to build a subdivision. I might have been ever so slightly psychotic at the time. For all I know it could have been a cement post. But I remember it as a tree. But we all know how reliable memory is in those moments.

3 Likes

I’m a tree chopper but not without a sense of gratitude bc they keep our house toasty in the winter.

-S

3 Likes

We need trees but I don’t see the point in hugging them. A tree is not going to love you back. If I needed one to heat my home I would have no problem chopping one down.

1 Like

I love to look at trees from a distance, allergic up close.

2 Likes

I would be lying if I said I’ve never hugged a tree.

2 Likes

I dont know if one watched the movie “The Happening - 2008”.
The movie plot says-
The nurseryman theorizes that plant life has developed a defense mechanism against humans consisting of an airborne toxin that stimulates neurotransmitters and causes humans to kill themselves.

I know its not true, I would hug tree.

1 Like

But there comes a point where they become non sustainable. :blue_heart: :sob: if cut down too much, imo

Yes I’m a tree hugger. That is why they made Earth Day on my birthday.

3 Likes

I’m a Buddhist (in a philosophical way) and see all living things as deserving of safety from one another. from massive mammals to insects. I dont go so far as to say as some Buddhist do and state that plants have any level of awareness/consciousness. but I am still a tree hugger for sure. I have gotten into bush craft and wilderness survival as a hobby. I think I would let a bear or cougar eat me if it was intent on doing so, rather than wield a machete and aim to cause it harm. That may sound extreme and crazy, especially to agnostics and atheists. but i don’t believe in killing, even to save your life or when your in the right. my older half brother has stated something along the lines of how its messed up that people are vegetarians yet will eat a head of cabbage without a second thought. I would love (a lot) the life of being a wandering ascetic in the Rocky mountains crown land in Canada’s BC/AB border. A couple other of my half siblings were tree planters for many seasons. One of which has passed away 10 years ago, and he was as extreme as I. Since childhood, same as me, he talked of leaving society and living peacefully in the wilderness. So my whole family is sort of just a bunch of mild-extreme tree huggers.

I would hug a tree.

1 Like

That’s a good story!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.