Are these auditory hallucinations?

Hello all, I had a psychotic episode in mid 2018 and since then I’ve been well (without any symptoms) and was on olanzapine (10mg then 5mg). Initially they told me it was affective psychosis but later have stated it as a diagnosis of Schizophrenia. I do not believe I have SZ but that is for another argument.

I stopped taking olanzapine 5mg about 5 months ago. I’ve been attending University and studying hard. Since mid March and with lockdown I’ve been non stop doing assignments and then had a number of online exams which I finished about 2 weeks ago now. My routine has been pretty much studying 11am to 10pm mon to sun, with lunch breaks and dinner and some relaxation around 10 and after, and exercise wise I would just go for a walk around my area about twice a week. I usually was going to bed around 2am or later and falling asleep no problem.

As soon as I finished exams 2 weeks ago I’ve had free time. I tend to get excited/enthusiastic about things when this happens as I’ve been looking forward to having my life back. At times in the early morning around 3am I plan out conversations and various ideas (social media, messages etc) and its sometimes hard to sleep but I eventually do fall asleep.

Anyways back to my issue, so since stopping exams and having free time just enjoying myself I’ve noticed something happening when I put my head down to sleep at night. I sleep on my side and I’ve noticed that sometimes in my left ear, there’s a mild sensation I can’t really describe, it’s kind of like blood is rushing to that side of my head/ear. As well as that then and worringly, I start to hear noise, I do NOT hear actual words but to me it sounds like a mild whispering from a few sources or a sort of ringing noise ? I cannot make out any language or words but it’s a very fast sort of noise. It doesn’t appear to be coming from any area of my room, it seems to be from my head and it’s kind of at a distance of maybe 10cm in closeness (if even). When I move my head so my left ear is on my pillow it stops. Also I feel that if it starts and I don’t move and just stay still it gets louder maybe ? I’m not frightened by it and I would say my mental health/mood is certainly normal at the moment - I’m getting on fine with day to day activities.
My Dad has tinnitus for years, perhaps that is the cause?
I’d love to know if anyone’s auditory hallucinations ever began like that.

Major disclaimer also: I never experienced auditory hallucinations during my first and only episode back in 2018.

Thanks for reading this long post! All thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

That sounds like tinnitus, not hallucinations. The fact that they go away when you move your head is a big clue.

2 Likes

Second that. I’ve had both tinnitus and hallucinations

2 Likes

Doesnt sound like hallucinations to me.

One thing I will say to you though is you don’t need to have had hallucinations to have schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is the illness and psychotic episodes are states of the illness. I too have never heard voices or had hallucinations, but I’ve had psychotic episodes. I say this because you said you doubt whether you have had schizophrenia. Its a really confusing illness where two different people can have completely different symptoms and issues but technically still have the same illness

1 Like

No, but maybe not enough sleep?
My auditory hallucinations were full on conversations.

2 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts and that is a good valid point about SZ symptoms differing between individuals.

Thank you for your opinion! Much appreciated

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yes that’s encouraging anyways, thank you.

Yes perhaps, my sleep pattern isn’t ideal at the moment, I appreciate your opinion!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.