Schizophrenia.com

Are there nice institutions or living communities for schizophrenics?

do they exist? sometimes i want to be in one. i even think to set up a gofundme to pay for it. my ideal place i could exercise, have internet, get outside time, and watch basketball in my room or something. then not having to cook or drive would be epic. the best i can do is move back to my hometown where i can walk around to the grocery and parks, but then i would still have to get rides to the shrink. i feel it’s too soon. i can’t really get serious about it until mom and dad are gone, but it is my future wish, although unlikely probably, because of cost.

1 Like

I know where you’re coming from.

After this long winter mixed with my back problems I’m doubting my ability to live alone and manage a household.

An apartment can offer pretty maintence free and low stress life.

2 Likes

Also, what’s the deal with not driving?

Just wondering why you don’t like driving. I’m so used to being able to go wherever/whenever I want.

I think I’d miss that freedom

1 Like

actually i stopped driving for 5 years while i was hallucinating. i enjoyed it, it’s was much less stressful for me, and i walked everywhere or rode my bicycle to town. i have a fear of car crashes and getting pulled over by the police, iim a paranoid driver and probably not a good one. things like switching lanes and merging onto interstates and driving in heavy traffic, i just can’t do anymore. when i was younger i had a nice sports car and drove through cities weaving in and out of traffic. that is something i couldn’t do anymore. when we take road trips, i sometimes drive, but not through the cities. i drove through mississippi and kansas recently while there was little to no traffic and that was fine. i used to drive 80 to 90mph out west going to colorado or montana. luckily, i never got a speeding ticket. i just don’t want to drive, i will walk around town, and catch greyhound buses if i travel somewhere, or get a cab/uber to the airport. my license expires in 2024 and i don’t plan on renewing it, so i hope to be moved out by then and into a subsidized apartment in my hometown, where i will have no need for a car. also i put on a lot of weight when i stopped walking 10 miles a day.

and then there is the extra cost of insurance, gas, and maintenance on a vehicle. i just don’t need it. things like paying bills on time and letting my insurance lapse is a very real possibility.

right now, dad pays for gas and insurance and i borrow his car when i go to town. on average, i drive about 5 miles a day on a 2 lane highway, 55mph for 3 miles, and 30 mph going through town for 2 miles.

1 Like

if somebody is behind me, i always check my rear view mirror like every 5 seconds. i can’t help but look back. so most of the time i wait for a big gap in traffic where nobody will get behind me.

I hear group homes can be good for people who have trouble functioning.

Personally I love my apartment. I wish I could buy it with my VA home loan lol.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.