Are there any musicians you think are really dark but everyone else thinks aren't?

I was thinking about this yesterday evening. I was pondering Christopher Cross. He was extremely popular in 1979 but he couldn’t make it big when faced with the MTV generation of the eighties.

But for some reason I find his music to be very dark, even though it’s classified as adult contemporary/easy listening.

Another group I find really dark are The Carpenters.

I do love the music from all these musicians. I just don’t find it as light as other people do.

Do you have a musician you enjoy who you perceive to be darker than others perceive them?

1 Like

@77nick77 knows more about this than me, but John Lennon had a very dark side

3 Likes

Hmm.

Strangely Enough The Band Bright Eyes Always Seemed Really Honest & Dark.

The Poetry Alone, Seems Pretty Dark To Me. Granted The Message Is Always Poetically Clear.

But!, Something Inside Of Me Always Nudges Me To Seek For The Truth In Conner’s Ways.

Nothing Bad About The Vocalist/Lyricist Truth Be Told.

But!, There Must Have Been Some Seriously Rough Times In His Past.

1 Like

I also think the song ‘hey ya’ by OutKast has pretty dark lyrics

One, two, three!
My baby don’t mess around
Because she loves me so
This I know fo sho!

But does she really wanna
But can’t stand to see me walk out the door
Don’t try to fight the feeling
Because the thought alone is killin’ me right now
Thank God for Mom and Dad
For sticking to together
Like we don’t know how

Hey ya! Hey ya!
Hey ya! Hey ya!
Hey ya! Hey ya!
Hey ya! Hey ya!

You think you’ve got it
Oh, you think you’ve got it
But got it just don’t get it when there’s nothin’ at all
We get together
Oh, we get together
But separate’s always better when there’s feelings involved
Know what they say -its
Nothing lasts forever!
Then what makes it, then what makes it
Then what makes it, then what makes it
Then what makes love the exception?
So why, oh, why, oh
Why, oh, why,…

4 Likes

Oh I enjoy Bright Eyes! I agree, he does have some very dark songs. Kinda somber vibe going on in his music.

2 Likes

Good Point.

I Tend To Lean (Also), Towards Meaningful Warnings. From That Coner Oberst Guy.

1 Like

Yes,

OMD
(Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark)

All their sings are generally upbeat but once you actually listen to their lyrics, they’re pretty dark.

2 Likes

Oh!,

And Ben E. King.

‘Stand By Me’.

That Message Being Sung For The Entire Universe To Feel.

Is Sad, Uplifting, Hopeful, Tragic, Helpless, Honest, And Full Of Joy.

Kinda Like Life.

1 Like

Ian Curtis. Joy division.

1 Like

I love the OMD song, Enola Gay.

1 Like

You know what it’s about I assume? Pretty dark !

1 Like

Actually I don’t! Please educate me. :slight_smile:

I first became familiar with the song while watching the movie Waltz With Bashir.

1 Like

The Enola Gay is a Boeing B-29 Superfortress bomber, named after Enola Gay Tibbets, the mother of the pilot, Colonel Paul Tibbets. On 6 August 1945, piloted by Tibbets and Robert A. Lewis during the final stages of World War II, it became the first aircraft to drop an atomic bomb. The bomb, code-named “Little Boy”, was targeted at the city of Hiroshima, Japan, and caused the near-complete destruction of the city. Enola Gay participated in the second atomic attack as the weather reconnaissance aircraft for the primary target of Kokura. Clouds and drifting smoke resulted in a secondary target, Nagasaki, being bombed instead.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you, @everhopeful .

I had a feeling the song had something to do with the military due to the lyrics and visuals in the video.

1 Like

Here’s a bit more

The lyric to the song reflects on the decision to use the bomb and asks the listener to consider whether the bombings were necessary (“It shouldn’t ever have to end this way”).[9] The phrase “Is mother proud of Little Boy today?”, is an allusion to both the nickname of the uranium bomb and pilot Paul Tibbets naming the aircraft after his mother. The phrase, “It’s 8:15, and that’s the time that it’s always been”, refers to the time of detonation over Hiroshima at 8:15 am JST; as many timepieces were “frozen” by the effects of the blast, it becomes “the time that it’s always been”. The song was also released during controversy surrounding Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s decision to allow US nuclear missiles to be stationed in Britain.[10] McCluskey stated he “wasn’t really politically motivated to write the song”, which was informed by a fascination with World War II bombers. He hoped the track “conveyed an ambivalence about whether it was the right or the wrong thing to do”.[11]

1 Like

Twenty-one Pilots have an upbeat tune to their music but down lyrics, much about suicide

2 Likes

Interesting choices @Montezuma. I can’t see Christopher Cross being dark but Karen Carpenter battled anorexia and later lost that battle when she died from complications from the disease. Given the Carpenters style of music, it seemed especially dark.

2 Likes

Blondie’s One Way or Another is about killing a stalker.

NENE’s 99 Red Balloons is about the death of everyone from a nuclear war.

The Beatles’ Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is about a guy who kills people with a hammer.

4 Likes

Yeah, he was a very troubled man. Hitting women was just one of his shortcomings.

2 Likes

My ex’s favorite song was Sailing. She would tell me she couldn’t decide if the song was about life or death. Listening to it now I get the chills.

4 Likes