Schizophrenia.com

Are severe negative symptoms from low dopamine or brain damage?

How many mg of abilify were you on? Im on 10mg but it didn’t do anything for my negative symptoms

1 Like

20mg Abilify for 8 years but I stopped all meds for 2 years.

1 Like

I never said “by doing nothing”. I suggested a 1-week extreme fasting and also setting an altruistic goal. Not sure if it works the same for everyone. But since you are fed up with the current situation, why not?

2 Likes

NAC targets negative symptoms in schizo.

Schizophrenia

Dopaminergic abnormalities have historically been in the foreground as research targets for schizophrenia, although all other major neurotransmitter systems, including γ-aminobutyric acid, serotonin, acetylcholine, glutamate and noradrenaline have also been implicated.65 Increased dopaminergic metabolism in the striatum has been reported. This hyperdopaminergic state has been shown to inversely correlate with hypodopaminergia in the prefrontal cortex. These changes are believed to mediate alterations in executive function and many of the positive symptoms of the disorder.

In populations with schizophrenia, dysfunction in glutamate metabolism and decreased glutamate levels in the pre-frontal cortex have been reported.68 The addition of cysteine has been shown to modulate glutamate levels through glutamate–cystine exchange, and GSH has been shown to modulate the binding of glutamate to N -methyl-d-aspartate receptors.69 N -acetylcysteine may be beneficial in the treatment of schizophrenia by targeting both oxidative stress and glutamatergic dysfunction, suggesting that the phenotype is a result of interactions of multiple neurotransmitter pathways70 that interact with oxidative and inflammatory systems, which are additionally implicated in the disorder.

There is an expanding body of evidence suggesting oxidative stress occurs in individuals with schizophrenia, and there are links between oxidative stress symptom severity and diagnostic subtype.45,7174 Whether the effects are synchronous with altered neurotransmission or the result of these abnormalities requires further research. Evidence for a role of oxidative stress in populations with schizophrenia includes polymorphisms in key GSH pathway genes and altered levels of antioxidants (with correlations between levels and severity of symptoms).75 Oxidative stress may lead to changes in lipid membranes, mitochondrial dysfunction and alterations to DNA and proteins. In individuals with schizophrenia, it is believed that whereas there are few changes to neuronal cell bodies, connections and dendritic sprouting may be affected. This is one potential mechanism by which oxidative stress is involved in this disorder. Similarly, changes in mitochondrial function have been reported, and the link to energy generation may provide a clue to the underlying pathology of schizophrenia. Moreover, links between oxidative stress and neurotransmission in psychiatric illnesses are beginning to be identified.

A large-scale study investigating NAC as an adjunctive therapy for schizophrenia has been conducted,42 which employed a 1000 mg, bi-daily regimen (compared with placebo) in addition to existing medication over 6 months. In all, 140 participants took part in this double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Of these, 60% completed the 6-month treatment trial. Improvements were seen in the negative symptoms, measured on the Positive and Negative Symptoms Scale. Furthermore, improvements in global function and improved abnormal movements, particularly akathisia, were also reported. These effect sizes were moderate, and improvements were lost 1 month after the discontinuation of treatment. This sample was considered treatment-refractory, with the average duration of illness being 12 years and more than 60% of participants medicated with clozapine. Given this, the outcomes of the addition of NAC are noteworthy. Gastrointestinal side effects were most commonly reported; however, the NAC and placebo groups did not differ statistically.

These findings were further supported by qualitative analysis of participants’ data. In this report, using a novel methodology, qualitative analysis of patient reports and clinician observations was performed in a blinded manner, and the NAC and placebo groups were compared. Emerging themes showed that participants treated with NAC demonstrated improvements in insight, self-care, social interaction, motivation, volition, psychomotor stability and stabilization of mood.76 In a subset of the primary study, NAC appeared to modulate auditory sensory processing, measured using mismatch negativity, a marker of glutamatergic function and an endophenotype of psychosis. Compared with healthy controls, individuals with schizophrenia were shown to have reduced mismatch negativity at baseline. Following 8 weeks of NAC treatment (2000 mg/d), mismatch negativity was shown to improve significantly.12 A recent case report has also shown significant improvements in symptoms following 600 mg/day of NAC in a young woman with treatment-resistant schizophrenia. However, details of total length of treatment are not provided.43

1 Like

I agree with you @Andrey . The sense that someone needs me is much stronger than my own desire to become well for myself

2 Likes

@pr21 tmg also works right … Which sysmptoms does it treat…??

1 Like

Tmg dmg etc works bit like sarcosine. It relieves anhedonia a bit.

1 Like

Hi @Aziz im back buddy, still alive on Vraylar 3 mg for positive symptoms

Unfortunatelly still gambling, but its getting less with the lyme treatments

1 Like

Please come back to facebook buddy

1 Like

@jeroen i couldnt sleep yesterday …cuz i forget to take melatonin tablet … i am feeling weak and head ache is unberable … i have an appointment today …i will ask about sleeping aid …

I justed deleted my facbook … i will make new account tommrrow…
we will chat then…

if this dr doesnt diagnose me …I will change to new dr…
@jeroenp

1 Like

@jeroenp inbox me

1 Like

Why did you do that?

I recovered from negatives without doing anything special. It was just the right time

2 Likes

@Om_Sadasiva

Since knowing you on this forum (maybe 3 years or more), it wasn’t your negatives that caught my eye. It’s your powerful delusions that worry me A LOT, man… Even your tagline “devotee of master Stockhausen” sounds fishy. I don’t want to sound judgmental, sorry if I am honest. I am really sorry that despite your treatment (I know you take your APs), you still experience paranoia and delusions. I wish I could help you but I don’t know how. Just remember, if I am allowed to say, that you are not Buddha and you are not Jesus. And the TV doesn’t send you secret messages.You are just a human being (I don’t even remember your real name, sorry) who drew the short stick on the genetic lottery. I am the same. Be kind to yourself and if you can, stop reading supernatural stuff (religious, sci-fi, paranormal etc). Focus on scientific articles if you have enough focus to read.

If you find yourself in a pinch, you can always PM me, maybe I can help you fend off delusions.

Hugs
Andrey

1 Like