Are severe negative symptoms from low dopamine or brain damage?

Not so sure but my pdr told me that negative symptoms are caused by low dopamine in certain brain regions even when off meds but meds can make negative symptoms worse in some people he said. He talked about antipsychotic invention and deinstitutionalization, he said that some patients were still not able to function in society even on meds. Now we call what these ppl have negative symptoms.

4 Likes

I have recovered from VERY severe negative symptoms. So it’s not irreversible brain damage.

I fasted for a week. Only coffee, water and sometimes a yogurt a day. If your body can handle it. Read about extreme fasting and potential benefits. Don’t stop taking your meds.

4 Likes

It can also be due to glutamate from what i understand.

1 Like

Did you make any med changes? It wasn’t depression?

I think a lot of doctors are too old and not well informed. I mean he’s right, but there’s things we can do. I tried supplements with good, mixed, and bad results. It definitely feels like low dopamine in some areas of the brain as well as glutamate issues. I don’t know. I had a severe case and still do, but I have improved like 50% over the years in this area.

I had no ability to feel pleasure. Couldn’t tell if I was dead or not. Not cotards delusion but pretty damn close.

2 Likes

He’s in his 30s or 40s.

Positive symptoms means high dopamine in some part of the brain while low dopamine means negative symptoms it means low dopamine in some part of brain …

2 Likes

Yea thats what my psychiatrist said.

1 Like

Did you try Wellbutrin? It increases dopamine in the prefrontal cortex of the brain which is responsible for motivation. I was on a low dose so it didn’t really fully work, others here improved their negative symptoms with 300mg Wellbutrin, maybe I should try that.

@anon28145038 @far_cry0

1 Like

I don’t respond well to ADs except Cymbalta. I think fish oil does the same thing as well as exercise.

3 Likes

Its worth a shot. Im definitely not 100% my old self but its a noticeable improvement. You should ask your doctor if you can try it. You should go on 300mg this time. Thats what im on.

1 Like

I mean nepali indian herb … good suggestion aziz … i have had problem working out … many time it gave me anxiety and a lil psychosis… will update my work out and benifits … i will try wellbrutin too…

2 Likes

@anon28145038 @far_cry0 @Schizo12345

Wellbutrin is used for ADHD off label.

2 Likes

I am again continuing my work out after these great herb for Sleep …work out excercise used to make me furthur anxious suspicious irritated confused … … i am only continuing my excercise routine after herb came in to my ideaa…its been couple of days i am getting good sleep…

2 Likes

I think it’s due to low dopamine.

3 Likes

So you did a week fast and the changes in negatives took? Like you don’t have to keep doing those fasts?

1 Like

I was and still am on abilify 15mg. It was not depression. My negatives were bad (avolition, anhedonia, alogia) and lasted for years. Antidepressants didn’t help at all.

2 Likes

Also, you need to decide why you want to get better. Like, make a commitment to try to help your family or a friend as soon as you start feeling better. For some reason, setting an altruistic goal rather than the easier “I just want to feel alive again” can help with your recovery. But it won’t happen overnight.

Just my experience.

2 Likes

Well its been a year I am in bed, since stopping Abilify. So it can get as good as on Abilify without doing anything?

1 Like

I am on Risperdal 4mg.