Are schizoaffective higher functioning than schizophrenic? Poll

• Sz and high functioning
  • Sz and medium functioning
  • Sz and low functioning
  • Sza and high functioning
  • Sza and medium functioning
  • Sza and low functioninh

0 voters

Which are you? Just curious about how the different mental illness differ and how we interact. It will also help me relate to other mentally ill at my support group. I am schizophrenic and medium functioning. You can talk about your symptoms/functioning if you like!

2 Likes

Would say the same. Better than some. Not as good as others. It’s a complicated thing!

2 Likes

While there are people of all kinds, I think schizoaffective people tend to have a better prognosis than schizophrenics.

1 Like

https://www.mirecc.va.gov/visn22/Schizoaffective_Disorder_Veteran_and_Family_Handout.pdf Here is something on sza I found interesting. It says among other things that many sza experience fewer or no symptoms by middle age. They seem to have a better sounding prognosis though some have it better or worse than me as well. One I know goes playing tennis every day and is friends with everyone at the center… doing quite well in life.

3 Likes

Sz and medium to high functioning

I think I’m SZ but my doctors say SZA. But regardless I’m medium-high functioning I think. so I didn’t vote. but you can take my choice into regard :wink:

Medium high sz most days some days not so much though…

I’m not sure what the overlap is in the genetics behind the illnesses, but I have to wonder if the differences in medications could be a reason for why schizoaffective is considered to have a better prognosis. Valproate is apparently an HDAC inhibitor and it’s been proposed as a mechanism which may make APs more effective.

I have sz but I drink meds for someone who has sza. Abilify plus a mood stabiliser. I am medium functioning.

1 Like

I’ve read that sza has a better prognosis generally than sz but I don’t know why. I don’t know what “high functioning” entails. I’m not working at a job, but I do shop, cook and clean for my family in the same way a stay-at-home mom would. I have worked most of my adult life. It’s basically only been the last 4 years that I’ve been off work. My disability is based on the bi-polar aspect of my illness and not the sz part I believe. So I honestly don’t know what level of functioning I would be considered. I’ll vote sza medium functioning I guess.

1 Like

SZA and Medium functioning.

I’m SZA and at my worse I was only taking lithium and catonic and non-functioning. Now after 2 years on invega I’d say that I’m medium functioning because I don’t work and don’t work and don’t think I can

I’m sza and medium to high functioning because I don’t work, and I don’t think I’d be able to work a regular job working for someone else.

Your most likely high functioning @Gina2.
You’re capable of traveling long distances by yourself.

I don’t understand this. My understanding always was that a sza diagnosis means that the person suffers from both schizophrenia and bi-polar disease. How can having two major mental illnesses be better than having just one?

It’s like saying someone with a broken leg and a broken arm has a better prognosis than someone with just a broken leg. I know I’m missing something here because you guys all mostly agree; that sza has a better outcome than just plain sza.

1 Like

I know it seems bizarre, right?

But if it’s not doctors throwing the numbers by diagnosing young people with less severe illness schizoaffective to spare them some stigma… then it must either be the meds or differing genetics. They do say you have a better prognosis if you have a family member who suffered from depression, but not sz. Depression is probably also genetic as well as situational.

I read somewhere that if you have a suicide attempt, your prognosis is actually better. (Don’t try that at home, seriously). That could be down to better care for people who are proven suicide risks. Or because people who are higher functioning pre illness are more likely to commit suicide. Obviously there is no good thing about suicide.

1 Like

Where did you hear that people who had family members with depression but not sz do better…? That is my case. I only have a few negative symptoms at this point… My experience seems to be also that people who had intervention at an early age do better.

1 Like

If you scroll down to “factors affecting outcome in schizophrenia” it’s #6. I’ll see if I can find a real research paper.

Edit: I can’t find a research paper that says that, the author of the article cites a book that I don’t have for that stat.

1 Like